1940's ? Safticycle cargo bike --check it out

GoldenMotor.com

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
I got this from a good friend today who is 80 years old and says that he bought this during the 1940's when he was about 7-8 years old. It was used (not new) at that time. He delivered 2 blocks of ice at a time here in our small town during the summer on this bike to earn money. He kept it all his life until now. A few years ago he had it repainted. It has a Briggs engine and a foot pedal that is used for both clutch and brake. According to him, the cargo compartment on this bike makes it very rare. Other than cleaning out the gas tank, I should have no problem getting it running. I am kind of excited and just got it home today. I have not done any homework yet and at this point do not know anything about them. The badge says "SaftiCycles" LaCrosse, WI. It has a vin number on it. Would appreciate your comments or shared knowledge if you have anything to add.

Attachments

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have a bunch of pics saved of SaftiCycles.

The gearbox drive is pretty much the same as an EZ Motorbike Q Matic.
They even used flex exhaust back in the 40's
There really isn't much new that hasn't been done before.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What a great find. Your a luck person to have someone trust you enough to sell it to you after owning it all that time. He wanted a bit of his history to be passed on.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I love stuff that's different, which yours surely is. Some local history gets passed along. A little plaque on it somewhere telling of it's history would be a neat thing... maybe with a picture of your friend as a boy. You could use it to sell ice cream bars or snow cones. Great find... thanks for sharing.
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Please post as many pictures of it as possiable. Especially under the hood!
Great machine!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Nice bike. I don't know about you but this this is screaming out to me "sidecar". I wonder if you could add a sidecar without altering it permanently. You know, using bold-on clamps.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Very interesting bikes,

it reminds me of the "Golem Sesselrad" from 1922, a nice idea for a build with a chinagirl...

Attachments

Last edited: