motor bike building a blood sport

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am sitting here looking at my hands and arms after I got about half finished with a homemade friction drive bike. Have to finish it tomorrow.

I have three cuts on my right hand, a blood blister on my left and a long scratch on my forearm. Seems whenever I work on a bike, I have blood on my clothes and on the bike parts as well.. I guess i'm just clumsy

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i have the same problem, my hands and forearms are always getting cuts and bruises on em. along with my finger tips. mostly from wrench slips and ratcheting something and really torquing it down.

those days end in 1 of 2 ways for me, i'm satisfied and feel accomplished, or i'm heated that i feel all busted up, and still didn't achieve what i was trying to. ones far more preferential then the other :D

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
If you think mbs are bad... You should see what a japanese import with a little engine bay can do. My hands are covered with little scars.

Try getting a pair of mechanix gloves, or a box of heavy duty latex gloves. I prefer the latex gloves because you can retain tactile sensitivity and they are disposable for when they get greasy.

Reactions: Doug Skullery

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I stopped working on cars five years ago when they forced me to stop driving one. My wife bought a new car then and when it has issues it's off to the dealer and she pays. For the first fifteen years of our marriage I paid for both cars to be worked on or did it myself. Now my mind is fuzzy and the cars are even more challenging, so it's to the dealer and her expense. She is a retired government employee. She has the much better income. God Im glad i had enough sense to marry well.

dissident75

Nov 23, 2010
Houston TX
My favorite saying that myself and some friends use is "You haven't done a good job unless you bleed."

Of course this started in our fixing cars but it applies everywhere..... except in drywall. Blood stains.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my hands are so beat up from this last build that it hurts just to turn a nut with my fingers. I am going to be forced to take a break while I heal.