Pleasant weekend

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Got some more work done on the Higgins build. And the assembly has begun: got the leather saddle-style seat on, the front fork in, and I'm just putzing around with finding the perfect motor mounting position.

My daughters were playing outside nearby. Sophie saw what I was up to, saw other older neighborhood kids riding their bikes, and decided she was ready to have her training wheels off. I took them off, put air in her tires, readjusted the seat post, checked the whole bike over, and handed it on out. And she took off just fine. I guess she WAS ready.

Word travels faster than lightning in a small community. Less than five minutes later, I'm the local bike shop. Putting air in tires. Adjusting rear wheels. Tightening handlebars. Putting air in basketballs (it wasn't all bikes). All with neighborhood kids standing around chatting about their bikes, riding around nearby, and coming back saying how well their bike works now. And my daughters made a few new friends. Since I like working on bikes, it was all good. But WOW! if you ever need to "get the word out" (whatever the word might be) just tell a couple of local kids. If they're interested, every kid within half a mile will show up in no time. That's the most efficient communication I've ever seen. I don't think I could have called that many people in the same amount of time by dialing my cell phone.