one thing after another

GoldenMotor.com

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
Hello everybody, well I have a problem and need some help. First of all my clutch stopped working on my other engine, so I decided to just go ahead and replace it with the skyhawk I had layin around. I just got my motor mount from SBP so I couldnt wait to put it on so I spent all day replacing my motor and getting the right bolts for my intake, exhaust and my sprocket just wanted a really solid build because I had noticed that my old engine was getting pulled to one side. I havent been using a tensioner but now I guess i need one I also put a new chain on. Anyway I went for a ride it ran pretty good then on my second run I went to stop and noticed it felt a little wobbly. I went for another pass seemed to be fine well when I slowed down almost to a stop I started rattling bad I thought man my engine is gone. but still seemed to run fine. Well I got off to take a look and found the problem I guess since the old motor wasnt mouted really good it took alot of the impact of engaging the clutch, well the motor I have mounted now is really tight and i did know that the chain was pretty tight but I thought it would be ok well apparently the engine is on thier good because instead of it giving the rear axle gave luckily I wasnt going any faster.

My question should i just run a tensioner is there any decent ones for sale, that are inexpensive. I thought about a shift kit but, I have to get a new wheel now, I would like to get some HD wheels but all i see is rear wheels with coaster brakes.

So I guess my question really is any advice on what I should do any input would be great Thanks

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
If you can afford it I recommend the HD shifter kit. That solves several problems, the chain tension chief among them. At the same time you get gears. A shifter kit is a win/win in my book.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i would make my own tensoiner and never have problems again use a flat steal bar a drill a file patience and a skate board wheel for pully or if you can punch out the bolt in the stock pully and use a loger bolt for the flat bar i would rather use a skateboard wheel

i have been using a skateboard wheel and flat bar with a groove filed in it to raise and lower pully (skateboard wheel) for about 5 months now and no problems

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't over tighten the chain, which it sound like you are doing. About 3/4" of freeplay at the middle of the top run should do it.

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
thanks for the replys yes that is exactly what is going on because the last wheel I had on I noticed the axle was bent a little I just put these wheels on because I came across a matching set, and well it basically ripped up my axle. But hey on the bright side I know i have the motor mounted solid lol. Really debating on the shift kit I know I would like it just dunno if I want to spend the dough but it might be worth it any input guys

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i havent had one yet im saving up for sure

the way i see it a transmission in a car can cost more than a motor and this kit is probly gonna outlast a few motors and then again its cheapr than manufactering your own

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Is your rear wheel coaster brake, or derrailer and gears?
If you already have gears changing the axle isn't very difficult.
I've replaced mine 2 or 3 times already.

You can get a chromoly axle for about 6 bucks including shipping.
You need a "gear bike" to put a shift kit on it.

To answer your question "is the shift kit worth it?"
You won't believe how much fun your bike will be if you get one.
It feels like a whole different machine.
You can start without peddling, run through the gears and get an easy
8 mph higher top speed.

It's always gonna be something with these bikes but you will eventually iron out all the wrinkles.Don't give up just get more determined to succeed.

TIM

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
Hey all, Im not giving up just learning from my mistakes, and I enjoy learning about these bikes. I have learned more about bicycles in the passt few months than I have ever known I love my MB.

Tim yes mine is a multi speed. I have the Shwinn Beach Point. Im going to go down to this store in town today where this guy sells some bicycle stuff, hopefully he has an axle that fits. I want to ride my bicycle LOL

[email protected]

Oct 26, 2010
anderson indiana
hey guys new on here myself....i have taken my motor off of an old bike i found....rode it once or twice and my rear tire hub went out.. just put it on a new bike (schwinn frontier) and the rear tire is wobbling free from the axle...what is the problem with my (bike?motor? tires?) PPPlease help

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
tire is wobbling free form the axle i would say your bearings are trashed take the wheel off the bike then grab the axil and try to wiggle it if the bearings are bad it should be obviouse also try to spin the wheel holding onto the axli if it wobbles or has grinding sound or doesnt spin very long try replacing the bearings and grease make sure to clean up the axil cones and bearing seat good before replacing bearings if you have loose bearings put a fair amount of grease in the bearing seat to hole bearings in place

i would recomend replacing both wheel bearing anyway cause they get more wear form motorizing around and youll feel more confident in then]m not randomly going out if your front ones got out you lose control very easly