Replacing Coaster Brake wheel

GoldenMotor.com

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Ok, so i'm in the beginning of my first build. I say beginning because getting started has become quite a hassle. I have a Cranbrook that at the moment i'm suspicious had the coaster brake hub built by hercules. The Brake arm is not coming off, I can't loosen the bolt, about 5 different people have tried and failed. It sucks, but that's where i'm at. In an effort to get moving on the project, i've already ordered some caliper brakes. My first question is "should I put the brakes on the front or rear wheel"? I'm assuming rear, and I will get another set soon, but if anyone knows otherwise please say so. Also, is it possible for me to use a front 26" wheel and just rebuilt it so that it can still use the sprocket that turns the chain that was on the coaster brake? (yes I can get the bolts off of that side, just not where the brake arm is) Or is it neccesary that I find somewhere I can buy a rear wheel? Thanks for your help guys, I just want to get this thing going and i'm way too stuck at the beginning stages. Thanks!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you're only going to have one set put them on the back. The nut shouldn't be that hard to get off. I just clamped the brake arm in a vice and used a big crecent wrench, a few taps with a hammer doesn't hurt either.

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Yeah I know it shouldn't. I don't know what's up with it. I tried the hammer whack, and multiple other people have also tried. It's crazy, I have no idea what the issue is. But do you know if it's possible to put a front wheel on the back of a bike?

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
I don't think so, but I confess i'm not sure. I do recall trying to loosen it both ways as a last resort, figured maybe If I could get any movement at all i'd be able to get the bolt off. Or are you talking about the front wheel? if so i'm not sure because I'd have to purchase one

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
AH HA!!! This thread can be rendered useless at the moment, my friend who also just finished his first build (he's got a couple days on me since i've had the bolt issue) took my wheel to work with him and got the bolt off!! I'm so excited right now It's taking all my willpower not to type in all caps. Thanks for all the replies guys, this forum is awesome, and I look forward to participating as much as possible. I'll post some pics of the bikes as soon as I get a chance. Mostly stock right now, I have some ideas for adding my own personal touches to stuff, but I figured getting it running would be a more practical short term goal :D

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I'm glad,I just finaly got a '60's huffy cruser ,so now I think I can join the riding rank on here

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
can i throw in my cranbrook stuff? dont drill the frame,that was a big mistake for me,but pablo at sick bike parts has an adapter that works great and only costs a few bucks, good luck frank

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
Hey, sorry about the slow reply. I had to re-do alot of stuff, and wanted to make sure it was on point before I took my newb advice and sent you on a train wreck. Let's see, things worth noting.

1. It took superhuman strength to remove that bolt, I had one friend who was able to do it, 4 others tried and failed. Keep at it, it will come off.

2. Take the back fender off, or trim it, or put the front fender on the back. It will likely get in the way of the chain.

3. Make sure your motor and chain are straight with the sprocket....what I thought was noise from my chain hitting my fender (which i'd cut a chunk out of and just figured it wasn't sufficient) was actually my chain hitting my frame and slowly eroding a decent chunk out of it.

4. I'm still not 100% sure about this call, but I re-mounted the sprocket with the teeth closer to the spokes, as opposed to facing the way where the teeth were farther out. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, but it looks like the chain is on straighter, and isn't in danger of hitting my tire or my frame anymore.

I apologize if any of this information is incorrect, i'm learning along with everyone else. If anyone wants to add or correct anything I said please pass it along. I've a long way to go still before I feel i'm even close to an "expert" on motor bikes.