Stupid (probably) gas tank question

GoldenMotor.com

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
So I've been looking at either buying or fabricating a replacement gas tank for my bike, and I really like the style that straddles down on both sides of my bike frame (for example, Sachs Tanks | Ghent Cruisers). But it seems like the gasoline on the "far" side of the tank (the side away from the fuel line outlet) wouldn't be able to drain out of the tank.

Is the "far" side of the tank filled in somehow, so that fuel doesn't pool uselessly in that side? If not, when you start to run low on gas, do you have to sort of slosh the gas over towards the side with the fuel line?

I'm attaching a diagram to help explain my question. This is an "end-on" view of my future gas tank, looking from front to rear. Thanks!!

Attachments

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I just bought the same gas tank http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2285wt_1165...how did ya mount yours? I was thinking of fabricating a mount with welding work. I will very much appreciate all the tips you can provide....man. Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This tank is from a Yamaha 80, mini dirt bike. The saddle tapers off toward the rear so there is no pooling of fuel. It all runs down to the aft end where the petcock is. Sorry, it's not painted yet. Been too darn cold here in Denver.
Tom

Attachments

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
I used foam insulating wrap like you use for house pipes around the frame this gives you a stable platform to start.Then you can adjust the tank to fit where you want. For the back mount just a u bolt muffler style clamp around the frame and up through the mounting holes on the tank with washers and nuts. For the front mounts i used a conduit clamp around the frame and brazed some studs to the tank . the foam pipe wrap really helped me get started use two layers if you have to.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
These tanks have a reserve built in to the petcock. If your running that low just tip the bike to the right side a little. The fuel will run around the back side.