What dosent suck on these bikes??

GoldenMotor.com

31ccchopper

Nov 7, 2009
ky
i broke my motor studs 4 times already the carberator broke off the intake, the clutch slipp and i cleaned it like 4 times already and adjusted it too.

Finally i up upgraded to 5/16 americian threads in the engine 3 times bigger. I driled out 3 holes and used a 5/16 tap and wohalli.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I have to agree with Norm (Venice Boy) When you consistantly have alot of problems I would look into the way things are installed and the amount of torque you are putting on the bolts. I am building my 12th bike now and have ridden a couple thousand miles on several different bikes with very few problems. Most people brag about how fast they can put one of these together and that is probably what gets them in trouble. Just MY opinion.

John

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
i broke my motor studs 4 times already the carberator broke off the intake, the clutch slipp and i cleaned it like 4 times already and adjusted it too.

Finally i up upgraded to 5/16 americian threads in the engine 3 times bigger. I driled out 3 holes and used a 5/16 tap and wohalli.
I understand breaking the motor studs, there weak. But how in the world did ya manage to break the intake? Or get your clutch to slip, are ya running it without a cover, or over-grease it? And are you using an air filter/fuel filter?

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia

I used to own a motorcycle repair and racing shop in Detroit. After over 18 years
of working on customers motorcycles I came to realize that their are many
people that just cannot comprehend the principle of over-tightening bolts, nuts,
studs, allen-head screws, etc, etc.. We had to remove cylinder heads and install
spark plug thread inserts on dozens of engines to repair stripped out spark plug threads, due to over-tightening. Plus stripped out aluminum engine cases,or replace broken studs, it is mind boggling how often that occurs. Most of the bike
owners would blame the manufacturer or not admit that they were really the cause of the breakage, but I firmly believe that a cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench could be an invaluable asset to most inexperienced "mechanics". It seems like there is no understanding of the difference between tightening a lug nut on a car tire to tightening a 1/4" bolt in an aluminum case! Go figure!!

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I used to own a motorcycle repair and racing shop in Detroit. After over 18 years
of working on customers motorcycles I came to realize that their are many
people that just cannot comprehend the principle of over-tightening bolts, nuts,
studs, allen-head screws, etc, etc.. We had to remove cylinder heads and install
spark plug thread inserts on dozens of engines to repair stripped out spark plug threads, due to over-tightening. Plus stripped out aluminum engine cases,or replace broken studs, it is mind boggling how often that occurs. Most of the bike
owners would blame the manufacturer or not admit that they were really the cause of the breakage, but I firmly believe that a cheap Harbor Freight torque wrench could be an invaluable asset to most inexperienced "mechanics". It seems like there is no understanding of the difference between tightening a lug nut on a car tire to tightening a 1/4" bolt in an aluminum case! Go figure!!
Quoted for truth. I used to be partners in a VW restoration shop. The bad thing about VW's is they are deceptively simple to service, so everyone thinks they are capable of doing so. Many are not. =-)

A pet peeve of mine is how few things in life seem to come with proper torque values listed any more. I know there are standards I can look up, and really I am a pretty damn good estimator after years of practice...but with the info more available maybe just maybe a few less experienced persons might think it important enough to follow.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
torque specs with these kits would be ideal. The mounting studs of the two-strokes, you don't have to reef on 'em that hard because they come with lock washers. The way I snapped my studs twice was killin' the motor by slowly slipped the clutch with the brake pulled in. I finally got outta that habit and now I kill it with the choke.(I'll splice my wires eventually) btw has anyone succefully grounded the kill switch? What did you connect it to?

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
torque specs with these kits would be ideal. The mounting studs of the two-strokes, you don't have to reef on 'em that hard because they come with lock washers. The way I snapped my studs twice was killin' the motor by slowly slipped the clutch with the brake pulled in. I finally got outta that habit and now I kill it with the choke.(I'll splice my wires eventually) btw has anyone succefully grounded the kill switch? What did you connect it to?
I Just run the black wire to my right side engine mount stud and secure it with a second nut. It is nice and clean and grounding right to the case.

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
I upgraded all the studs first thing and have yet to snap or break anything (fingers crossed) Either your luck is real bad or mine real good.
Evandnut

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
When torquing the bolts on these HT kits I don't use a torque wrench... I recommend a 'firm snug' on the bolts, & after a few days of riding, I re-snug 'em! ;)

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
When torquing the bolts on these HT kits I don't use a torque wrench... I recommend a 'firm snug' on the bolts, & after a few days of riding, I re-snug 'em! ;)
I also do the same as you do Venice, only because we have the "feel" for
what the difference is between firmly snug, too tight, too lose or whatever. That
ability is really acquired through experience or training I believe.