I really have to laugh at guys like this

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I would consider my bike worth twice what I spent in parts plus labor, but then again two things. One, its a fully custom 98cc cruiser. Two, I'm not selling it, just placing what value I think it should have on it. $775 is way too much for a walmart bike with a chinagirl engine.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I mean I know times are tight and we are all trying to make money
but really a %100 percent markup on engine and bike plus $500 to mount
motor, I haven't been able to stop laughing just too funny
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/3835962699.html
do you guys think I'm outta line here?
Actually aside from the complete bike he has listed, he's asking $300 for a motorized bicycle kit and $200 to install it. What do you think would be a fair price?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Why you guys being so hard on this guy? It's a free-market and I actually think it's a pretty fair price for what he's offering. This has nothing to do with the hobby: his target market are those without our valuable mechanical skill. I am proud of my build, and it makes me happy to know I can maintain it VERY cheaply, as well as having the mechanical know-how to keep it maintained properly. This guy offers a decent build and backs it up with a month's free maintenance, which is perfect for a new-build for a green customer. Actually BB, he writes in all CAPS "NO TRADES"...so he probably gets enough offers for trades that he HAD to post that, only followed by a courtesy "I might except a clean-titled car" since that's probably what HE needs...totally fair and above-board).

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Nothin wrong with asking a high price for something. I'm sure there are people that will pay it. But in San Jose, the most expensive place I know to live, A new cheapo cruiser with a china girl engine goes for around $500.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/3777133159.html
If you bring me a bike I can get you "out the door" for about $300. But I do it more for the hobby and to get folks on motorized bikes.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur with the last 2 posts. $775 for what he's offering isn't all that high. Especially when he's offering the free month maintenance agreement. That alone would be worth a few bucks when you consider who some of his potential buyers might be.

Personally I tend to build on the expensive side so my bikes, if they were for sale, would go for a lot more than the asking price the guy has up.

Tom

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I think I also agree with Kioshk and Fatdaddy on this one. Plus, for all of you motorized bicycle sellers out there, this guy is helpful to your cause.

Depending on how needy or green the buyer is, they might get their money's worth using that 1 month service plan...

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Nothin wrong with asking a high price for something. I'm sure there are people that will pay it. But in San Jose, the most expensive place I know to live, A new cheapo cruiser with a china girl engine goes for around $500.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/3777133159.html
If you bring me a bike I can get you "out the door" for about $300. But I do it more for the hobby and to get folks on motorized bikes.
fatdaddy.
Anyone trying to make a profit off of $500 new motorized bicycles isn't going to be in business very long.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Thanks for all the responses the reason I brought this up is 2 fold
but both come down to greed.
first Had a friend buy one and he wasn't happy about one thing.
The guy told him to break it in at 32 to 1, after about 300 miles
switch to straight gas, I set my friend right on that! (his repeat Business?)
but if I hadn't?

The second reason I ask is because I shot him an email asking how much
he would charge to mount MY HF79cc and ezm onto MY bike
even sent him pics showing mount already welded on, meaning its just a matter of lining up the chain and hooking the cables up ( been side tracked with a more immediate 2 stroke build) and he sent me a quote of $1500.00
more over I see these sell all the time here and the general rate is about
$350 to $500 for new builds here.
anyways I personally thought he's buying these engines in bulk obviously
what $100 to $145 and sells them for $330-$350 I haven't even seen napa with that high of a mark-up
oh and these engines he's selling has bushings not bearings
so in short I think he's taking advantage of gullible people and that just makes me mad!
that's all and again thanks for the responses!!!!

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
This guy uses the clam shell adapter - $699.00

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/bik/3839001725.html
and this was kinda what I'm talking about, I can see $775 for the bike and
motor, if he did a good job,and he seems to have done that, I have no probs
with that. but over 100% markup on kits:( ad above shows about a $50 markup
that's reasonable IMHO

also had my buddy followed his directions about 60 days later his engine would
have blown and gone right back to this guy buying another one and paying$500
for the new kit and mount thinking he did something wrong!
and you know if it hadn't happened to a friend, who cares, after all
Let the Buyer Beware I forget it in latin.
thanks for reading

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Hey D.Rat , that is hysterical full price I called him he said they start at 730 I go to 1300 . and I think the funniest part is free guarantees it'll get a hundred fifty miles to the gallon I wish I got a hundred fifty miles a gallon . of course I'm set up for street race and I'm heavy so on a good day for 90 miles per gallon would be good for me .just keeping it real !!!!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
This guy is selling a kit on a department store bike with no apparent upgrades other than a spring tensioner for $775. I built a fully custom 98cc cruiser with motorcycle forks and a custom made jackshaft on an American made schwinn frame for only $25 more. And P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute. I think this guy believes that.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
If it costs too much, don't buy it.

Yes, do the research. If you can see craigs list, you can see other things too.

Some people want to ride motorbikes w/o having a clue what they are about.

Don't blame the seller. The price is whatever some other person will pay. If that ain't you, that's OK. I don't understand the "seller is evil" thing. Yeah, I understand the "people are stupid" thing because I deal with them everyday. Lot's of stupid people (or lazy) people out there.

As to craig's list, how much stuff do you suppose is sold for asking price? By my experiance, not much. I have had people email me with "your price is too high" all the time. Without even asking to see the item. I email them back and say...

If the price is too high, don't buy it - :)

PaPa_FoZzY

Nov 23, 2012
Neshoba co. Mississippi
that does seem like a high price to me and some of you other guys but it's also fair, Look at us vs everyone else, We know the hobby, we know how to do it we have the tools and the "talent", we know where to get the deals and we know what parts we need to keep it running, we know the trouble areas, we've been through the BS. The average person wanting a motorbike either lacks the basic skill set or can afford the convience of not having to do it themselves. Look at some of the people that sell motorized bicycles 1, 2 and 3 grand and there is nothing outstandingly special about most of them. 129.97 walmart bike and 2 stroke engine kit anywhere from 150.00 to 170.00 (roughly) Plus time and patience I think what he is asking is a steal myself

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
If it costs too much, don't buy it.

Yes, do the research. If you can see craigs list, you can see other things too.

Some people want to ride motorbikes w/o having a clue what they are about.

Don't blame the seller. The price is whatever some other person will pay. If that ain't you, that's OK. I don't understand the "seller is evil" thing. Yeah, I understand the "people are stupid" thing because I deal with them everyday. Lot's of stupid people (or lazy) people out there.

As to craig's list, how much stuff do you suppose is sold for asking price? By my experiance, not much. I have had people email me with "your price is too high" all the time. Without even asking to see the item. I email them back and say...

If the price is too high, don't buy it - :)
Thank you mr b for your post.... You are a very wise man...

Ccc