Pirate cycles, a second look.

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 31, 2013
RI
As a watcher, sitting here as this unfolds and having been in some sort of business for almost 60 years starting at the age of 10 with a paper route I see three ways you can handle this.

#1 As has been suggested don't bother with Pirate Cycles and find another vendor.

#2 Gather up a pile of cash and buy them out. That way you can run the business the way you feel it should be run. The boys at Pirate Cycles will be happy and so will you. Run the business from where you live just as an internet store. Saves overhead if you aren't a bricks and mortar store. You can set your own hours. My guess would be 7am to midnight will do it.

#3 Start your own store. Start small and work it up slowly like they did. It's all too easy to complain if you aren't doing it yourself. With all the expert advise I see offered here you will be profitable in no time and you will swamp the competition with goods and services. If you need advice post on here. There seems to be a bottomless pit of free advise here and my guess would be that you will get just what you pay for it.
...as long as they ignore their phone i think more and more will choose, have chosen, number 1.

Them as can are doing and those that can't are usually complaining about those that are.

Steve.
...and this is the attitude that puts the blame on the victim and absolves the victimizer, it suggests that those who complain about lousy customer service are full of crap, just a bunch of whiners without a legitimate complaint, ...that is the kind of thinking that is slowly killing Pirate Cycles.

bozo

btw, i tried to stay out of this thread because i'd already made my points in that last thread that got locked and didn't want to become embroiled in another but i can't just sit by and read these kinds of posts that put the blame on the customer rather than the vendor, in this case it is the vendor who is at fault and i KNOW it for a fact because i just went through it with them myself. ...for the first, and more importantly, the LAST time, i for one have already chosen number 1 for all my future purchases.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bozo,

Those comments are my observation from a life time of doing business. You would be surprised how many businesses have be started because of poor service. I have been the starter of a couple myself because I was used over by someone else.

The only trouble with suggestion #2 is that you inherit all the bad feeling that the previous owner caused and it will take you about two or three years to win back customers. That's if you have fantastic luck and some people will still go into shock every time they hear the company name and will advise future customers to stay away.

Were you a victim? I know you posted something but I've forgotten what happened. If they took your money and didn't supply the items you bought then I would say your indeed a victim in every sense of the word.
If they didn't answer their phone and any emails you sent I don't see how your a victim in the true sense of the word.
They are guilty of poor communication with their customer base and have become a victim of that. Future sales lost and an unhappy customer base.

It has been proven that a happy customer will tell 10 to 15 people. An unhappy customer will tell everyone who stops to listen.

As for my last comment, that was aimed at the people who sit and complain and do none of the three things that I mentioned. I fail to see just how that is putting any blame on anyone other than the people who do nothing but sit and complain.

You made the smartest of the three choices in my estimation and obviously a man of action. I hope you are able to start a motor bike parts selling company. You certainly have an excellent understanding of good customer service.

Steve.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Bozo,

Those comments are my observation from a life time of doing business. You would be surprised how many businesses have be started because of poor service. I have been the starter of a couple myself because I was used over by someone else.

The only trouble with suggestion #2 is that you inherit all the bad feeling that the previous owner caused and it will take you about two or three years to win back customers. That's if you have fantastic luck and some people will still go into shock every time they hear the company name and will advise future customers to stay away.

Were you a victim? I know you posted something but I've forgotten what happened. If they took your money and didn't supply the items you bought then I would say your indeed a victim in every sense of the word.
If they didn't answer their phone and any emails you sent I don't see how your a victim in the true sense of the word.
They are guilty of poor communication with their customer base and have become a victim of that. Future sales lost and an unhappy customer base.

It has been proven that a happy customer will tell 10 to 15 people. An unhappy customer will tell everyone who stops to listen.

As for my last comment, that was aimed at the people who sit and complain and do none of the three things that I mentioned. I fail to see just how that is putting any blame on anyone other than the people who do nothing but sit and complain.

You made the smartest of the three choices in my estimation and obviously a man of action. I hope you are able to start a motor bike parts selling company. You certainly have an excellent understanding of good customer service.

Steve.
Steve, many of the folks who are complaining about Pirate Cycles are doing so because they feel disrespected by a business that purports to be in the business of selling things but can't be reached by any reasonable means, they actually WANT to trade with Pirate Cycles but can't get through by phone or e-mail to even place an order or to ask questions about a product they would like to consider purchasing.

...with that kind of atmosphere how can any prospective customer have any confidence in Pirate Cycles willingness to do the right thing if an issue arose with a defective part or just not the part ordered?

here is where i entered this particular discussion and just 2 posts later i outline my personal experience, in detail.

...here is that posting where i detail my own experience with Pirate Cycles and my wish that i could recommend them and also why i instead recommend the opposite.

...as i've said, i've already decided to not do business with them again, my dealings with them were just too much hassle, so i could just remain quiet and not run the risk of offending other, more well established members who might have a vested interest or just a long standing relationship with Pirate Cycles,

...but as a former businessman myself i feel Pirates Cycles should be made aware of the issue so they have a chance to correct it, they seem like decent guys and the bike i bought is of decent quality, ...i in fact brought my concerns to Justins attention on the day i picked up my bike, unfortunately, the answers i got were that they were too busy to answer phones and e-mails and their profit margin was to narrow to allow them to hire someone to handle the excess business, laughable excuses to my mind.

...i even suggested to Justin that they're being so busy was a sign of success and that they should consider raising their prices by 2 or 3 percent and use that to hire an apprentice to learn bike mechanics and to answer the phone and to sweep the floors, etc, etc..

anyway, it's because of all this that, as a former customer, i recommend to any prospective new customers that if you live close enough to go to the shop you will almost certainly be happy and if you order online on faith, you will PROBABLY get what you ordered, MAYBE.

...why take the risk?

peace, bozo

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bozo,
Does owning a business make a person a business man? I guess by default it does and a lot of business people are a success despite themselves.

If those are the reasons they don't answer their phones and emails they are indeed laughable as well as down right dangerous, as you said, to their business. If the economy picks up and the interest in motor bikes continues to grow like it is, it will be a matter of time before someone moves into the field or one of the current vendors expands with absolutely wonderful products and service aimed at Pirate Cycles and others, customers.

I worked for a chap after I found it was easier to be an employee than an employer and his favorite saying, after someone try to get the better of him, was that, cash is king and I'm wearing the bleeping crown. As customers we all are wearing the crown.

My personal philosophy was that doing business with me should be like holding a puppy. It just made you feel warm and fuzzy. I just made sure the little bugger had a pee before you held him so there were no accidents.
I checked and rechecked what I did to make sure there were no mistakes that got past me. Wasn't 100% fool proof but there weren't many over the years and those that were I took care of immediately to the customers satisfaction no matter what it took.

I will stay with Sick Bike Parts and others who have proven to supply superior service myself but it most certainly an adventure to find vendors that you feel good about dealing with. Kind of like tap dancing in a mine field is it not.

Steve.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
pirate is pirate, they do things pirate's way. that's their name and they live by it. you gotta admire them, take it or leave it AAARRRR!!!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
SECOND! go somewhere else for parts and bits. Pirate has obviously decided to deal with the more expierenced motorized bicycle croud who doesent need the mollycodllying and constant reassurance of the neophyte. Order with assured confidince of what they offer and you will receive you parts as ordered... IF you dont know what your doing. GO ELSE WHERE. NEVER had a problem.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Approaching thin ice, guys. I've almost had it with this thread and this subject. There are some good points both pro and con but it apperas that we're going nowhere but downhill again. Just a word to the wise...

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The biggest reason why every body is not in business for himself, is because no one wants to do any business with them.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Well that just not true, because I Buy my own Crap every day and I Sold this line of bull.... If you read this ,you bought it . All sales are final . LOL all the way to the bank UURRR he matty!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To tell the truth I don't see much on their website that I'd have to talk to anyone on the phone about. They already have a picture and description. You either want the part or you don't. If they're out of stock the site won't let you order it. It's called ecommerce. It's a website thing. It's set up where you shouldn't need to talk to anyone.

My experience generally has been with typical wbb transactions, if I don't have to talk to a real person, the order is processed correctly everytime. If I actually talk to someone, there's a lot greater chance something will be wrong.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
well that's simply not true . Twice ordered on line and come to find out it was OUT OF STOCK ,but. the site said it was in stock. So this means it be best to call BEFORE PAYING. This means YOU will still have your hard earned $$$$ that you busted your A$$ to get. Unless you get a big out of throwing your wallet overboard. Played he!! getting mine back.