Exhaust leak ` H E L P lol `

GoldenMotor.com

hilton_marc

Sep 27, 2012
Liversedge
Hi everyone ,

I need some help my Motorized bike has been working fine till today !
On my way back home then engine started to jump speeds going fast then slow then its would work fine for say minute then dies and cuts out, i looked down to see black oil stuff spitting out the exhaust mount.

I got home and took some pictures once i removed the exhaust.

Just wondering if i re-seal the exhaust properly will run again ok , or is there something else major wrong

Thanks Marc
drn2

Chubbz McNasty

Sep 27, 2012
Tucson
Sounds to me like your having gas issues. have you accidentally put too much oil in your gas? That would def explain the oil dripping from the exaust.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't rely on a sealer, even high temp. You need to make a new gasket. Any auto parts store should have gasket material. 1/8" thick is good but it should be for exhaust. Clean the gasket surfaces of the cylinder and the exhaust flange and make sure they are flat and flush when assembled together.

With a new gasket in place, install the pipe and torque the nuts to about 60 inch pounds.
You can re-check them after the engine has been run a couple of times but you shouldn't have any damage or problems.
Good luck.

Tom

EDIT: Just looked more closely at your photo. Is that gasket metal? Aluminum maybe?
They work good but you must watch the tightness of the fasteners. And they can leak if the flange is even slightly warped, which almost all of them are from the welding process. Make sure the gasket surface of the pipe flange is flat and true. Run a file over it, or a flat stick of wood wrapped with sandpaper. You'll quickly see any high or low spots that need to be addressed.

Tom

Last edited:

hilton_marc

Sep 27, 2012
Liversedge
Don't rely on a sealer, even high temp. You need to make a new gasket. Any auto parts store should have gasket material. 1/8" thick is good but it should be for exhaust. Clean the gasket surfaces of the cylinder and the exhaust flange and make sure they are flat and flush when assembled together.

With a new gasket in place, install the pipe and torque the nuts to about 60 inch pounds.
You can re-check them after the engine has been run a couple of times but you shouldn't have any damage or problems.
Good luck.

Tom

EDIT: Just looked more closely at your photo. Is that gasket metal? Aluminum maybe?
They work good but you must watch the tightness of the fasteners. And they can leak if the flange is even slightly warped, which almost all of them are from the welding process. Make sure the gasket surface of the pipe flange is flat and true. Run a file over it, or a flat stick of wood wrapped with sandpaper. You'll quickly see any high or low spots that need to be addressed.

Tom
Ok i will look into getting a new gasket material , yeah they old one was like soft aluminum with some sort of rubber in the middle which has now disintegrated with the heat.
Once i repair these faults do you think it will run again ok ?

hilton_marc

Sep 27, 2012
Liversedge
Opps my bad sorry i meant 250 ml to 5 liter petrol , so far i have bought a new Exhaust manifold gasket and gasket sealant and its finally working with no leak but its now struggling to go up a slight hill think i might get some exhaust putty just to make sure there is no leaks hopefully that will sort it , i also checked my carb it was clean with no dirt .
cvlt1