Is this motor legal in Louisiana (i have laws listed)

GoldenMotor.com

lamoon

Jul 23, 2009
LA
Just to add a lil more info

Louisiana:
MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE – R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE – R.S. 32:1(41) defines as “a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface.”

REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE – R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION AND TITLING
Mopeds and motorized bicycles shall be registered and titled upon presentation of the following:

1. Notarized certificate of origin or title.

2. Bill of sale.

3. Evidence of security interest must be filed by a UCC-1 or equivalent form or by the filing of the security agreement.

4. Odometer statement.

LICENSE REQUIRED

1. A motorized bicycle shall only be operated upon the roadway of the highways of this state by a person 15 years of age or older who possesses a valid driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement and shall not be operated upon sidewalks, interstate highways or impede traffic flow.

2. No person may operate a moped or motorized bicycle without adhering to laws governing the operation of motorcycle including the wearing of approved eye protectors or a windshield and the wearing of a helmet.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you buy a bike already with a motor from a company it might come with a Notarized certificate of origin. but if you make it yourself it looks like you wont be able to register it.

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
If you look at the law the key thing there is the 5 hp, there is not transmission on these things, and just try and get insurance my agent got a big giggel out of it.
The main thing is to wear a helmet and obay all traffic laws (use hand signals) concerning a bike do not ride them on the sidewalks and ride smart.

Cookie

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Bu the way I live in LA and have been riding the bikes for years now (I have well over 8ooo miles under my belt) the only time a cop has stoped me was to ask ??'s aboput the bike.

Cookie