Bicycle review

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, snork snork.

I really would like to do custom tanks. Would this one work? (is to cheap so dunno) - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices or this? - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Hmmmm, costom mounts 2
Dan,
I realize they're a bit more money but if I could offer a suggestion, go for a wire feed welder. The arc welder is a good tool to have but for bicycle work it's gonna take a lot more practice to be usable than the wire feed (MIG) machine. I have an arc machine but haven't fired it for years. I use the MIG and TIG (heli-arc) for everything. I'll look for a link for you, don't have one handy, but Hobart, Miller and Lincoln all make excellant little 120 volt machines that are well suited for anything up to 1/4". I'd stay away from the cheap-o off-brand wire feeds that you see at WallyWorld, Home Depot, Harbor Freight etc. They are hard to get parts for and nearly impossible to get repaired if you have problems. Spend the extra $ and go for a gas machine, one that uses Argon/CO2 mix. The gasless units are okay but the welds aren't nearly as pretty as with a gas welder. Another plus for the wire feed is the amount of time you'll need to master the art of sticking metal together. I've taught guys to use MIG, and make respectable welds in one day. This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but you did ask. :) Check here: Hobart Welders - Products - Wire Feed Welders
Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Tom, is why I asked you and thank you big time. Really was 2 cheap and knew there had to be some bad down side. I have a rule about cheap tools that every time I forget, I regret it. Don't scrimp on tools.

Thanks Tom.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
if you only need it once, buy a cheap tool
if you are going to use it again, buy the best you can afford
advice my grampa gave me many moons ago :)
Bill,
Last night I used a pair of Weiss aviation snips that I bought new in 1964. They still cut, never been sharpened and have never failed me. I think I paid about $20.00 for them, and that was big money for a hand tool in 64. Hats off to grandpas. They're always full of good advice.
Tom

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Bike Review

K2 Big Easy Deuce Hands Down the best bike I have built to date #11

1st the brakes on this bike not being disc will stop on a dime.

2nd comfort is out of this world

3rd style is right on new & old mix

4th quality parts

I never thought I would dig any thing new school but this bike is a rider. I feel as if I could ride for hours where as the old style cruisers that I was building are great to look at but ok to ride.

Enjoy the pics.

Adam

Attachments

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Re: Bike Review

Nice lookin' bike.

And what clever place to mount your CDI! Out of the way, to give a cleaner, less cluttered look.

Wonder if I can steal your idea and move mine similarly.

Cheers,

Brenton

W1ldcat

May 14, 2009
St Joe MI
I used a Trek / city limit which is an expensive bike thinking I would ride it. We the motor fit perfect. My buddy who has 3 walmart bikes say mine rides so much better, but I did pay $300 for the bike. I just got it together and probably wont leave the big neighborhood I live in and it pleanty fast. Great hobby with lots to learn as far as tossing out the hardwear and buying nylocks and better bolts..

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Huffy Santa Fe: SoCalBicycles.com - Men's Huffy 26 inch "Santa Fe" Beach Cruiser - Riverside, CA

Basic made in China cruiser. Scored mine at Sears on clearance for $70.

Pro's: Nice sturdy frame. After about 400 to 500 miles I have no problems there. It went together easily. I didn't ride it for any length before motorizing it so I cannot comment there.

Con's: The same problem with flimsy fender mounts in the front that others have reported. The rear coaster hub gave me problems from go. There is something in there clicking that I am sure will eventually fail big time.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Fin, take it apart and give grease and a look? If it is making a "help me" sound. We need you safe and sound. (OK, safe ain't none of us sound)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Gentlemen, They All Looks So Good With Motors. I Have Gotten So Many Good Deals, ( Good Deals Will Keep You Broke!!!). I Dont Know Which To Start With. And At My Age Decisions Become Harder And More Difficult. My 10 Yr Old Grand Son Is Coming Dn When School Is Out From Tn. I Took A Friction Drive Up There The Week End Of New Yrs. Him And His Sister Had Very Red Cheeks From The Cold. They Kept Taking Turns, So They Would Not Freeze. They Had A Ball. They Are Hooked. I Will Post A Pic Of A Ride I Am Contemplating. I Hope It Offends No One. Ron FEEL FREE TO DELETE IF UNAPPROPREIATE.

Attachments

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Fin, take it apart and give grease and a look? If it is making a "help me" sound. We need you safe and sound. (OK, safe ain't none of us sound)
I greased that thing and examined it closely many times! I finally just got a better wheel from Husky. The original wheel now rests quietly in a back corner of the garage where it can harm no one!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gentlemen, They All Looks So Good With Motors. I Have Gotten So Many Good Deals, ( Good Deals Will Keep You Broke!!!). I Dont Know Which To Start With. And At My Age Decisions Become Harder And More Difficult. My 10 Yr Old Grand Son Is Coming Dn When School Is Out From Tn. I Took A Friction Drive Up There The Week End Of New Yrs. Him And His Sister Had Very Red Cheeks From The Cold. They Kept Taking Turns, So They Would Not Freeze. They Had A Ball. They Are Hooked. I Will Post A Pic Of A Ride I Am Contemplating. I Hope It Offends No One. Ron FEEL FREE TO DELETE IF UNAPPROPREIATE.
That was funny Ron! printed it

I greased that thing and examined it closely many times! I finally just got a better wheel from Husky. The original wheel now rests quietly in a back corner of the garage where it can harm no one!
Glad to hear Fin. .rd. we need ya around

Last edited:

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hi all,
I have a review for the Schwinn Landmark from Walmart. As far as I can tell it is identical to the Schwinn Jaguar from Target except for a different paint job and cheaper price ($120 vs $150 right now). The metalic burnt orange color's pretty cool. Here are my thoughts on these two bikes. The wheels don't look too strong but upon closer inspection seem to be pretty well built for a chinese bike. The rim strips that protect the tube from being punctured by the spoke nipples look inadequate and I replaced them. The rims could be a little stronger but I replaced the rear one anyway with a disk brake compatible wheel for a better mount for the rear sprocket. The tires seem pretty good other than that awful smell they are still emitting even after a month of riding (I could never store it in the house because of this). I'm sure it's something poisonous that those Chinese put in the rubber. The v brakes are very good once adjusted properly. In order to adjust them, first pull off all the nubs off the sidewalls of the tires as these rub against the brake arms and make it impossible to tell if the brakes are adjusted properly. The shifter and derailer work reasonably well when adjusted. The handlebars may look cool but put me in a position that is uncomfortable to pedal from and create bad handling for the bike. I replaced them with some heavy duty mountain bike riser bars which suited me much better. The seat is OK for short range trips of 30 miles round trip or less but I would probably get a nicer one for longer rides. The frame has nice stable geometry for high speed handling. It has a nice long wheelbase and mounts for a rear rack and fenders. The front fork has fender mounting eyelets. The kickstand is inadequate for a MB and the bracket it mounts to looks a little weak too. I can see mine bend a little when I try to use the failing kickstand. Someone mentioned having to do a little welding to shore up the Jaguar's kickstand bracket. I have the pyramid centerstand on order and will probably use some angle iron above the mount to stiffen it up. The pedal crank is good but I had to swap that out anyway for the 4 stroke kit I used. I found a pretty good match for the orange paint at Kragen. It's a Duplicolor metalic burnt copper paint that I used on the gas tank. I also checked all the bearings during assembly and found they all were well greased but the wheel bearings were too tight and needed a little adjusting. If you are mounting a 4 stroke engine on this frame the mount from bicycle-engines.com seems to work better than most for it although the new one from firebelly cycles looks really nice. I've included some pictures of my MB Landmark that I've nicknamed The Creamsickle due to the white and orange color scheme.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good review. That should give anyone about all the info they would need to make a decision. I agree with you; it is the same bike as the Jaguar, and the Southport, I think is the same too. I was the one who said they had to reinforce the kickstand mount on a Jag but I thought that was because I use a center stand. Nevertheless that is the only place I've found that was on the weak side. I like your color scheme and paint match. Looks like it was bought that way. Good build and a fine review. Thanks.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great review A Bike, thank you. I am gonna get one.

Dunno why the "stinky tires" struck me so funny, but really did. (be a cool nic. "that's ol' stinky tires"

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL I would leave a review but I'm a canable I haven't put a motor on a bike I paid for other than the OCC schwinn chopper. For some reason I don't think you want a review on the chopper, probly looking for a more standard type bike, right?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No Terron! Any you have built would help folks. I personally have wondered about OCC choppers and would enjoy hearin/reading more about them. The adapting? did you DIY or buy a kit?

Really, would enjoy reading your thoughts on building with them. They make great looking MBs.