4 stroke fiction drive to chain drive

GoldenMotor.com

916Tim

Apr 12, 2016
Sacramento, Ca
I have a 38cc ohc 4 stroke friction drive installed on a fixie with 700c wheels, it works great but i believe i can improve it by converting it to chain drive. Have any of you all done this? What do i need? What size drive and driven sprockets? Whats my best option on a transmission?Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated! I have also a 26" beach cruiser with a 49cc HS pushrod engine the 38cc has a way higher top speed!

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Have you checked out Staton inc? They make what your looking for. They sell hubs that have sprockets on both sides. They also sell complete wheels with the added sprocket. He sells the transmissions. They have complete kits or you can order ala cart. Quality stuff that has an excellent warranty.

916Tim

Apr 12, 2016
Sacramento, Ca
Thats where i got the idea of the conversion. Pricey, although high quality. I saw parts and pieces on Evilbay that are simalar and was hoping to gather parts from thst venue to save some dough. I like the 38cc HS engine its a little prizefighter greater top e d than the 49cc pushrod HS i have on my chaindrive bike. As an alternative has anyone removed the gas tank and mounted one in the frame? Is the rotation different? Im just not all that pleased with the Bikeberry friction setup. Tim

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The engines rotation is backwards as is. You will either have to move the engine to the other side or add the 5:1 pocket bike trans that reverses rotation. This would probably be the thing to do anyway as you will need a primary reduction.

I'm a big fan of FDs, I have had/have several. Their only limitation in my experience is wet operation and I overcame that. The smoothness of the direct drive with no other components is superior to most other drive systems. That said I have plenty of chain drives too.