solex clone engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
I am looking at buying a solex clone bicycle engine kit but I can't find one any where I found the kit a few years ago on ebay but I can't find it now I have looked in a few other places but can't find it any where else.

If there is any where else I can buy one please let me know.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
They have pretty much dried up for sale in this country. If you really want one try searching Google for Hongdu/Solex. There are probably Chinese sellers that will sell one unit as an example. Price may or may not be good. The two I bought were less than $200 shipped from a US seller a few years back. Search and read the thread under the same name on the forum here. Lots of good info there.

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
I found one brand new for $522.95 I can't see paying that for it dose anybody have a used one that they would like to sell?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I've seen the complete bikes occasionally for cheap ... keep an eye on craiglist

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
Thanks for the help I ended up buying the kit I was worried that it would be a cheap engine that would be hard to get parts for but it being a tecumseh engine it is easy for me to get parts for it.

I will post pics of the bike when it's all done.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
As I remember the 49cc is a TC-2000(2hp). There is a TC-3000(3hp around 65cc) that s the same basic engine and will directly bolt in place. The 2hp should be plenty, but might keep your eyes open for the 3000 at yard sales, flea markets, etc.. Was mostly on small tillers. These are very smooth engines. My only dislike is the throttle design is a little strange. If you wind up working on the carb pay careful attention to how the throttle and the air vane governor are assembled.

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
I just got the engine in today it has been sitting for a few years

The carb was not getting fuel from the gas tank so I took the carb apart while it was still on the engine where the fuel enters the carb was full of old 2 stroke oil that had gummed up I can't put fuel in the gas tank until I get new fuel line because it leaks but after I cleaned the carb I put the fuel line in a small container and after a few pulls it started so once it stayed running by it's self I shut it off.

I am letting the gas sit in the carb over night if there is any thing I missed with carb cleaner the the gas should take care of it.

As for the strange carb I have never seen anything like it before

Last edited:

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
I am hoping that the gas sitting in the carb over night will disolve any old gummed up 2 stroke oil that the carb cleaner missed the carb cleaner should have at least lossened any of the gum enough for the gas to disolve it.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have purged a good bit of knowledge from the old gray matter since I left the trade so I may be wrong but I was thinking the carb was a fairly common Walbro. maybe its a Tilliston? If I am remembering correctly what may seem strange is the air vane, I believe its mounted to the carb?

tkrocks2

Nov 10, 2014
canada
I am not sure what kind of carb it is but with out the throttle cable it stays at wide open throttle the throttle cable holds it at closed.

I got the engine running it runs great but it will only drive the back wheel when it is not under load and it spins the wheel very slow how can I make it spin the back wheel faster?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
This is about all that turns up. Says min order 50. Might contact them and see if you can buy one as an example. A lot of vendors do that. Love the wording in the description!! http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/bicycle-engine-kit_105527580.html
"Specifications

Solex 4800 engine(New lamp modlel new CDI and rotter !
We just supply the power kit for bicycle! Bicycle engine!

This Solecs front motorkit , it is with controld cluth,the motor is 48cc,2 stroke, it works well ,not die when the speed is very low, the carburator with a device waiting the back fuel , it make the consumption is very low! Strong air cooling make the piston hardly touch the cylinder!Mixing ratio fo fuel and engine oil : 14:1 after 500kms will be 20:1!

The rider can easily dirve the bicycle by push down the cotrol lever!

It is very fast to install this engine on your bicycle, and very interesting to ride it! more suitable to woman and children!"
;)
Way back when I got one of the first Saito 4-strokes for a model biplane. The Japanese company's instruction booklet was funnier than this but took some decoding to use.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The VS is designed to run flat out and be suppressed by the rider, so perhaps the McCulloch kit is the same

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik
"Specifications

Solex 4800 engine(New lamp modlel new CDI and rotter !
We just supply the power kit for bicycle! Bicycle engine!

This Solecs front motorkit , it is with controld cluth,the motor is 48cc,2 stroke, it works well ,not die when the speed is very low, the carburator with a device waiting the back fuel , it make the consumption is very low! Strong air cooling make the piston hardly touch the cylinder!Mixing ratio fo fuel and engine oil : 14:1 after 500kms will be 20:1!

The rider can easily dirve the bicycle by push down the cotrol lever!

It is very fast to install this engine on your bicycle, and very interesting to ride it! more suitable to woman and children!"
;)
Way back when I got one of the first Saito 4-strokes for a model biplane. The Japanese company's instruction booklet was funnier than this but took some decoding to use.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45751

My "Solex bike" low quality on the engine, but the original Solex parts fit, parts are no problem to find