212cc on a cruiser, suggestions for completion

GoldenMotor.com

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
Hey guys so as youve read, i've mounted a 212cc predator motor on this strand cruiser. I have little to no knowledge about motorbikes but I am a classic car restorer. I'm waiting on my clutch, rear sprocket adapt. and throttle cables. Everything is custom made and welded by myself so adjusting the position of the motor is no big deal. Im wondering what else would I need to complete this build. So far I have no brakes but I have a solution. As in getting power to the rear wheel would I need one of those miniature sprockets below the seat to get to my rear 44 tooth sprocket? I ordered this adapter that has two rubber gaskets, three pieces of steel forming a circle, and nine bolts. If you could , could you tell me if that'll work? Any suggestions? To be honest I know the dangers of this kind of motor on a bike etc... It's going to be used as a pit bike for the drag races. Tired of walking to and from the pits and staging lanes.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think a 212 for your first build is not a good choice, its not something to attemp with-out doing some good research. A better choice would have been the 79cc to start with, would make a great pit bike for sure.

I have build a few 212 and some 99cc bikes, You can look over the attachment to see what really is involved when building and big motor-bike: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33688&highlight=Dyno

Let me know if you have any questions, I will help you if needed. JR

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
I noticed you need that plate to make it line up correctly to the rear sprocket, what is that called? It's an interesting little project and you can't beat 100$ for motor haha. I know the risk in something like this and it's not much of a concern. If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough ! Haha cheers

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
its about mounting things correctly and they need to they secured in their position. a 212 has a lot of kick if that chain was to loosen at any point, it will leave some lacerations that you would not be proud of.
for this type of build you are going to need a few items and knowledge of how to put them together for them to work in unison.

motor how are you going to mount it?
how are you going to move that power to the rear(if thats what your going for) Jack shaft, cvt, or comeup with your own creation. which ever way you decide you have to make the correct choices of gearing, the ratios used, how and where they they are placed.
proper wheel set, just any wheel will not hold up long to the torque of the 212. rims, spokes, hub. how are you going to mount the rear sprocket?
the frame of choice,the little chine girl/happytime motors dont produce any more power than your legs can make so frames can with stand those for a bit of time. but the torque of the 212 can twist the frame and brake welds easily. there is a reason why certain bikes have the 212 and they are proven, some by motorbicycle racing.

we are by no means trying to discourage you in your adventure in the MB world but at the same time we have to pay due diligence with warning you not to try this on your first go. a 79cc is the same price and is less to mess with and can teach you a bit about motorizing something that wasnt meant to..

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
Motors already mounted, I have great heat penetration for my welds so cracking most likely won't occur. Obviously I know how much this little beast puts out vibration wise; rubber isolators are used on all 8 mounting points. Cuts it back severely. Of course I won't know how it holds up in the future but I'm curious to find out. As for spokes & rims I'm using the original but that will change after I see the effects of the power applied. This is just more of a fun learning project then anything. I have excellent skills in fabricating and metal shaping so Building a chain guard is of no issue. I'd like to make it look trick and strong with a little help of my dimple dies but this ain't no restomod I'm used too haha. My question is what is the little gear that connects to the clutch with another gear on the other side that goes to the rear sprocket? What is that called? Can I make one if I get the two gears? Thanks for the advice guys, I have a plethora of pictures and videos of it running but I can't post them using my phone because of photo size etc.. but I'll post some up hopefully today. Cheers

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
You're looking for a jackshaft. The basic idea is that you mount a plate behind the engine, and use 2 pillow blocks (they're bearing holders) with a shaft inside. Check out Northern Tool's website. Last I saw, they had pillow blocks for 3/4" shaft for like $8 ea. Then, on the shaft, you have 2 gears. You can select the gears from places like Tractor Supply. One gear is driven by the clutch gear via a short length of chain. The other gear drives the rear sprocket.

I would mount this plate to the engine mounting plate (I'm building one too, BTW)

Note that not all gears are created equal. There are different sizes for them. Now, you've said that you're using a "rag joint" sprocket (that's what it's called) for the rear wheel. I will say that unless you have some very sturdy spokes that the torque of the engine can possibly break the spokes. A better solution is to use a hub adapter. Check out gasbike.net for some, others may chime in with better websites. Anyway, the rag joint sprocket uses a 415 chain. That means the chain rollers are 1/2" spaced apart. You can use 410 chain, or even 41 chain. Those will all fit the sprocket you chose, and you can get 41 gears (just select the number of teeth you want on each gear) pretty easily at tractor supply.

Something sort of like this:

Last edited:

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
Wow that was a perfect way to say it. Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking at thicker spokes as we speak. Now that i know what its called (jackshaft) i can finally complete this. I have a scrap mountain bike I'm going to rob the wheels and brakes from. should look and work great.

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The front wheel might work from an MTB but the rear definitely won't. You're going to need a double wall al or steel rim with at least 13g preferably 12 or 11g spokes and a sprocket that mounts on the hub (no rag joints).

Heres my another method to do jackshafts.. you can use 4" wide U-channel or something and put holes and use flange mount bearings like these.