American lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand

Looks like an older lugged motorcycle frame, - or at least the front half of one, - grafted to a set of pressed steel Fanny-B girder forks. The engine could be from a Fanny-B too or at least something similar.
I used to own a lightweight Fanny-B (as well as a Plover) and that's what all those bits and pieces remind me of.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The trail led to the FB 98 Snipe, and it's not American at all. 2012, southern England.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Whizzer Model E. The belt drives a roller on the back tyre.

Last edited:

WabashFlyer

Feb 28, 2016
Terre Haute, IN
I love this thread.

it is exactly bikes like this Marsh that lead me to choose these to begin this project with. a mid eighties raleigh composite framed road bike, and a much more modern nashbar commuter. simple lines, lightweight, timeless styling and endless nostalgia. my next project might be a cruiser, might be a chopper, but to start, i want to start where it all started.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
1915 Dayton

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?6358-1915-Dayton-Motor-Bicycle-Parts-Wanted

Shelby bicycle, Travis motor

From Ed Youngblood's Motohistory:
[ Bruce Linsday selected the Oley meet to debut his one-of-a-kind 1902 Sylvester & Jones, a motorcycle built in East Weymouth, Massachusetts for only the 1902 model year. Only about a dozen S&Js are believed to have been built, and Lindsay constructed his from parts of the only known remaining example, including its engine, seat, wheels handlebars, and pedal crank. The remainder of the machine, including its frame and beautifully polished metal fuel tank, were constructed by Linsday from scratch, based on photographs. Lindsay is seen here attaching battery wires in preparation for starting the motorcycle.

The Sylvester & Jones features an unusual engine design that incorporates two exhaust systems. It has a conventional deDion-type intake-over-exhaust pocket valve cylinder head design, with atmospheric intake valve, like many bikes of its era. However, low on the cylinder are also exhaust ports like seen on early racing engines. Both the valved cylinder head exhaust and the cylinder port exhausts are routed into a muffler that sits directly behind the cylinder (pictured here). ]

Last edited: