unwanted log out

GoldenMotor.com

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I've asked this question before and took the advise I was given, but still I continue to get logged out before I'm ready. I check the remember me box every time I log in. It is so frustrating to spent time writing a post only to find I'm logged out, and when I log back in I'm returned to a blank page and the post I wrote is gone. so frustrating.... Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Also since the website hooked up with u tube I have to open all picks in new windows or tabs. Anyone else???

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no problems here - could be any one of a hundred things wrong with your inet, computer, or browser

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mass,
If you're checking the 'remember me' box the problem isn't on the forum. I have to agree with crassius; the problem is more than likely on your end. Maybe Barely Awake, another moderator and our resident software go to guy might offer some suggestions for you.

I have an intermittent problem that I've been chasing for a couple of years. My 'back button' doesn't always work. I'll have to click it three, four or more times before I can back out of a page. Really frustrating, and at times it doesn't work no matter how many clicks.

Do you have any computer guru friends who might be able to take a look for you?
Good luck.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
If you have Word or something similar why not write up you post copy / paste and then no worries if you get booted before you're ready.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm with MassDrive; there have been many instances in the past where I'll write a brilliant post only to have it lost because I took too long to finish it. I actually do web-development for food & beer (and very little gas). It's just a matter of the session timing out...most web-servers do this after 20-minutes by default. I suspect that the software which this group runs on has a setting to increase the session lifetime. Now Google has a pretty decent solution to this by using JSON (a subset of AJAX) posts every 10-seconds which assures your messages are saved at at least that interval.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I have an intermittent problem that I've been chasing for a couple of years. My 'back button' doesn't always work.
That isn't a problem, but rather a 'feature' that some asshat corps put in to keep you on a page (they say it is so you won't accidentally leave). They do it by having a link that puts you on an invisible page that automatically throws you forward to another page, then when you hit 'back' you get thrown forward again without seeing it happen.

When you get one of these, use the drop-down menu of your back button to move back to a certain page in your list.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have also had problems with losing posts, I will be 3/4 way through a post, get called in to deal with kids, come back finish my post and it will not accept it, very frustrating!
And it doesn't make me popular when I'm trying to explain that I just need another couple of minutes to finish what I'm writing.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
It's because you have the option set in your browser not to accept cookies.

when you click remember me it stores that on a cookie, if cookies are disabled
when you select remember me it won't work.

went thru it myself.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hmmmmmmm.... this is the only website that this happens to me. Yes I have taken to writing my posts in MS Word first. You are right I don't like my computer to collect cookies. Cookies usually bad.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's because you have the option set in your browser not to accept cookies.

when you click remember me it stores that on a cookie, if cookies are disabled
when you select remember me it won't work.

went thru it myself.
Can't agree completely. I have cookies blocker turned on. I don't get cookies but I never have the problem that Massdrive is having. Maybe the difference in Internet providers?

Tom

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Tom I don't know if you have a degree in computers but all info saved from a
website is because it's stored in a cookie, period.
however in certain cases you will be prompted do you want to save the info.
What sysytem are you using windows or linux? and what version?
because linux can save the info differently than windows.

look it up

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while the user is browsing that website. Every time the user loads the website, the browser sends the cookie back to the server to notify the website of the user's previous activity
Cookies can also store passwords and form content a user has previously entered, such as a credit card number or an address. When a user accesses a website with a cookie function for the first time, a cookie is sent from server to the browser and stored with the browser in the local computer. Later when that user goes back to the same website, the website will recognize the user because of the stored cookie with the user's information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't know what browser you are using but I had similar issues when I used Windows IE.
Ever since I switched to FireFox I have had no issues at all.
That said, I have Adblock Plus and NoScript extensions installed as well.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I was just going to ask which browser you use... I use Firefox, and the update to it this past week screwed up a lot of stuff on my end, in terms of cookies, "morning coffee" add-on and more. I think I'm still trying to sort some of it out.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hmmmmmmm.... this is the only website that this happens to me. Yes I have taken to writing my posts in MS Word first. You are right I don't like my computer to collect cookies. Cookies usually bad.
The only cookies I really don't like are peanut butter. Oatmeal is my favorite :D

Back on track here, I used to have the same prob as you massdrive but that hasn't happened in quite a while now. I think it was when I was using IE and now I'm using GC......that may be why?

The only glitch I'm having here now is when an incoming pm message pops up and wants to know if you want to open it up now. I click "yes" and it cancels the message. If I click "cancel", it does the same......

"yes" = "ok"

anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been wondering about this, MD. I believe your right Tom and it is a internet service provider (ISP) issue. If all other possible causes have been ruled out.

But why only this site? Kinda picture heavy and 2 rotating GIFs. Was a drag with dialup.

Don't really know but man is that annoying. Type, type, type and gone. Makes ya wanna flight test your keyboard.

Just thought of this as a test. If you have access to a smart phone, try connecting to the internet with PDAnet https://www.google.com/search?q=pdn...=fflb&q=pdanet&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Really awesome program to have any way. My all time favorite app, bar none.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
log out then log back in, that is supposed to clean the cookies, not sure if it will work but worth a try, also been told cleaning your cache could help however i would just try logging out manually and logging back in and see what happens. log out is up top just below where it says you have messages and welcome