help with throttle issues

GoldenMotor.com

wmd239

Aug 24, 2010
Grandville, MI, United States
my throttle cable broke up by the handlebars, so i replaced the cable and i am having some weird issues,

the throttle will not twist the normal amount feels like its resisting somewhere

when u start the bike the throttle is wide open :) this was fun to find out.

im thinking when i attached the cable in at the carb side i put something back together wrong or am not getting it in right.

anybody have any suggestions for this one?

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
im thinking the same you have it inserted wrong or Ive even seen guys not insert the cable through the spring itself causing a binding any ways its cable or air leak at manifold causing problem

justcruising

Mar 9, 2011
ontario canada
I had issues where my throttle would stay wide open. The connector for the throttle that connects to the carb has to be screwed in with precision or else the slide will get stuck inside your carb.. atleast that was the issue for me and now it works fine. I found this out by taking off the air filter for my bike and checking the slides action as i used the throttle.

wmd239

Aug 24, 2010
Grandville, MI, United States
ya im thinking its in the carb not the throtthle because i can take off the carb cap & the throttle action works fine, but as sson as i screw that cap into the carb the throttle just locks up.

ill keep playing with it

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
make sure your slide is in the carb the correct way. it has a tiny alignment pin in the carb. if it goes in wrong, the slide will bind up.
The slide has two slots. The long one goes to the right (looking down at the carb) the short one goes to the left. The long slot is a guide and aligns with a pin in the carb. The short slot is the idle speed adjustment and aligns with the idle speed screw.
Make sure you have no binds or kinks in the throttle cable.
We're assuming you have made the cable the right length.
Tom

cdaviesaz

Jun 14, 2011
PNW
I was just searching the forums for the issue I have and came across this thread. My issue is that the alignment pin on the right side is gone. I don't know how it happened, but it's not there. Just a hole now.

Any ideas as to what I can do? My plunger won't work right now and I am dead in the water.

Thank you in advance!

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I was just searching the forums for the issue I have and came across this thread. My issue is that the alignment pin on the right side is gone. I don't know how it happened, but it's not there. Just a hole now.

Any ideas as to what I can do? My plunger won't work right now and I am dead in the water.

Thank you in advance!
Buy a new NT carb... :)

cdaviesaz

Jun 14, 2011
PNW
I have the "performance" carb. Isn't that a "CNS" vs. an "NT?" I'll do a search and see if the NT will fit and how much it is. Thanks.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
If you slide guide pin is indeed missing there is not much that can be done except get a new carb.

Over tightening of the throttle cap can cause the slide to bind, once you over tighten it to the point it binds the slide once it will continue to be an issue even with moderate pressure applied. Try to buff the slide particularly around the top on a wheel polisher till it fits smoothly into the throttle slide bore (clean well and lubricate lightly first before reinstalling) and wrap the threads that the cap screw onto Teflon tape so you do not have to over tighten the cap for it to stay in place.

cdaviesaz

Jun 14, 2011
PNW
Thank you gentlemen. This place rocks! Bikeberry is going to take the carb back and send me a fixed (or new) one - or so they say. So far I have had nothing but good experiences with them. They took care of my dented tank (arrived dented) just going off pics I emailed to them by sending me a new one, although it was chrome since black was out of stock.

It looks like the alignment pin sheared in half as some of it remains (as viewed from the outside of the carb). My guess is, like you said, that it bound in there and broke the pin. Now it will probably never work the same. And given that dax (Duane) has these for $10 (plus $9 shipping), it might be best to just get a new NT instead of another CNS.

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
Had same problem; the cable was bent inside throttle housing, but still the same thing.

Does anyone know where to begin tuning a cns carb?? I can get full throttle or no throttle. Seems the idle screw is out so far it will fall out.

Any help would be great!!!

Gary

cdaviesaz

Jun 14, 2011
PNW
Screw it, I ordered an NT from Dax instead. Bikeberry wanted me to ship the old carb back and the cheapest shipping I could find was $7.50, USPS.

My mistake with the CNS was trying to "tune it better" even after I got it dialed in pretty well. But I had nothing to compare it to. So I thought I could reduce the 4-stroking and get more power by messing with it. Well the float jammed in there at one point, which in retrospect probably broke the alignment pin off because it never ran right after that again. Then I dropped the float on the ground and chipped the corner off.

Hopefully I have better luck with this NT and upgraded o-ring...

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
thatsdax has a performance carb, the RT carb which requires buying a special throttle cable but its worth it. I own one and will never go back, they rock your socks off when tuned right.