New York laws

GoldenMotor.com

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I found most of the laws in NYS for motor vehicles and what is legal or not. Mopeds are legal and fall in three classes. Most you do not need insurance or need a MC license. Class C, 20mph or less, you only need a helmet and registration.

However, they also state a "motor assisted bicycle is illegal" for street and public use. They say it's a motorized vehicle, but cannot be classified as a moped, atv, MC, or scooter due to lack of safety features to make it road legal.

Well this wednesday I have off and I plan on going down to DMV to find out exactly what I need to make this thing classified as a Class C moped so I get have it LEGAL, but not need insurance or inspections.

Ill report back and tell ya what I found. If anyone from NY has any insight, let me know!

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I've been lucky enough to pass by law enforcement plenty of times and they haven't done anything. But the penalty for using an unauthorized motor vehicle is jailtime here...and they make that VERY clear. I work on vw's for a living, I cannot afford to lose my license. I would rather pay a few bux a year for it to be legal and take that instead of the car. Besides, I want my bike plate to match my car plate... "Moose U"

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Ok, NY sucks. I went to the dmv and spoke to three people and their supervisor. None of them could help me. They gave me a number for NYS technical hotline and told me to try them. So I called them when I got home and spoke to some guy who sounds like he lives in the middle of nowhere with a huge beard and knows everything about anything. He told me they are passing legislation to legalize electric motor assisted bikes with no permits or inspections or registration as long as it goes under 20mph. When asked about gas powered, he said flat out they are illegal. I asked him what needs to be done to make them considered a motorcycle or moped? He said nothing, you cannot custom build a limited use motor vehicle or moped and be legal, you need to buy one. The ONLY way out would make it into a motorcycle, have a motorcycle license, and have safety inspections and registration for a full size custom motorcycle..not worth it.

In a nutshell, NYers are screwed. Well NY, tough. My car gets 22c/31hwy and my bike gets well over 100mpg and thats what I plan to continue riding. Either that or i'm gonna have to falsify some documents so I can become a moped class C.

boylove35

Jun 13, 2008
I'm so glad I moved out of NY a while ago. It has gotten so strict, the "Can do" list is very limited.

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
Yeah. PA is worse. Right now i'm struggling to fill out form upon form upon form through the DMV to get this thing registered as a moped. If my hard work pays off, ill report back EXACTLY what it takes to do. Man, what a PITA.

BTW, i'm a NYS certified inspector of motor vehicles, so this might help out a little.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. We can only hope that with the fuel prices and the requirement to conserve resources will prevail and they will make a quick change and allow state law to mirror federal law. We can only hope. I have heard that Canada passed a 3 year law trial run to allow motor assisted bicycles. Maybe NY will follow Canada.. Who knows? As for now, sounds like NYers are screwed. Sounds like NY is in the hip pocket of the oil Companies. That is just not cool at all.. I hope they come to their senses and make it the right thing to do, so you all in NY can Enjoy the ride....

nitroscope8

May 26, 2008
Long Island, New York
I would think of all places NY would be happy as long as they had cash flow in. This isthe first time NY is trying to push away something willing to pay! ****, they are closing streets in NYC from cars because it's getting crazy there. Mopeds are popping up here but I like to build what I drive. Get on the ball NY or I will gladly take money earned from this state and move away. Well, i'm gonna do that anyway.

dcangerous

Jun 19, 2008
I found this in NYS DMV - Frequently Asked Questions

Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.

These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

Nice huh? we, the little guy, tries to find a way to get by and the Government closes us down. . . Typical

YardMaster

Jun 8, 2008
Please let me know of any success stories of getting the bike registered. I am conducting research that partially covers electric and gas powered bicycles. I believe that this is something that everyone should have the right to do.

Jason

skiingrob

Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the information. So much for the quick and simple alternative to my car for daily transportation. I live and work on Long Island and can get most everywhere I need without the use of the highway. I thought I would try and do my part and cut my gas use down from the 18c/21hwy I get now. I could afford to modify my bicycle, but can not afford to get another car. I guess I will need to continue to be part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

skiingrob

Jul 16, 2008
I am in Lynbrook. Let me know if you get anywhere. I would love to be able to leave my car in the driveway more often, but it would take me two buses to get to work when it only takes me 15 minutes to drive it.

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
the path im using in kansas........have not done but made all the calls and seems to work...is you have to first get a state vin# issued......that does not make it legal and you may have to call several highway patrol offices to find one that will do it.....in kansas they all said no...then i found one that said "it wont make it legal but bring it down and we can issue a vin# and that will get you started on the process"

after vin# (i called progressive insurance and had to speak with a supervisor) but they said they can cover it liability only.....40 bucks per yr (that is were they nail you ..jail time no insurance"
after vin# and insurance...... you should be able to get it tagged.......if not driving with out a tag is not as bad as no insurance.......
i could be all wrong cause i just made phone calls yesterday but that seems to be the path.........gotta find a hi po office willing to assign a state vin number

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Stuck in a quagmire of a war, back breaking national debt, the whole world hates our guts for the being the energy pigs that we are, and this is how our own government deals with the issues, by sticking it to a guy riding a bicycle? Is this a great country, or what?

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Nitro
Wish you lived arround me. I'm in NY also but the Western end. Buffalo's suburbs are the worst in law enforcment. They make up there own laws here! I will appologize to anybody who's eye's I make bleed here but I am fully committed to giving DVM **** over this issue. I don't like being lied to as a tax payer.

I'm in the same possition, tryin to register my ht. That old smart guy isn't as smart as you think at technical service (DMV). He told me no motors on bikes period by NYS LAW. Please find me the citation of law that says this in NY. He might be right but I hav'nt found it yet. Although they like to think they can, our NYSDMV don't have thier own Assembly or Senate to pass laws! Our Legislators pass laws. Anybody having time, please call technical services NYSDMV(518-474-5282) and ask what Title and Section of NY Law prohibits motors on Bicycles. Please post the exact responce you get!!!

A previous post mentioned to have somebody else register it in another state and bring it back. GREAT IDEA but I thought of that and latter found NYS DMV keeps a list of certified class C manufacturer's.

These are the kind of loopholes we need to probe.

Nitro you'r not alone and I'm glad to find I'm not anymore! It will take all of us together to beat this, but it could be done. Please apply yourself.

I will be posting some posts from another board and hopefuly we can get together and beat this. My posts will contain the most factual info I have access to. New reader and entrys please take time to read previous posts on this subject

Last edited:

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Here in NY it is legal to build a 6,000 lb car from nothing and get it registered at our DMV. It is legal to fabricate a "homemade" motorcycle and get it registered. It is also legal to build a bike trailer to haul your newborn behind your bicycle (uninspected). You'd be supprised at the number of idiots sticking thier kids in these things and going for rides in rushour traffic!

Today I called to register my homemade class c moped (under 20mph) and was dennied. Man on phone stated, Law says no motors on bicycles, period. I than asked what sort of material I should use for the frame? Man said Law does not allow for homemade class c mopeds. I replied "well they gotta be comming from somewhere"??? Man said I must be considered a licensed manufacturer of class c mopeds. I wasn't about to let him go that easy and asked "how might this elavated level of status be achieved by just an ordinary gent such as myself". He replied I'd have to contact the Federal D.O.T. TRANSLATION IN NY TERMS: Here ya go boy get the stick. The wild goose phone chase starts. (Not my job)(not in today)(busy)(leave a message we'll call you back)

I don't know if I should pose the following argument. I guess it depends how I feel the next couple days when I wake up. Given knowledge of the forementioned legal homade vehicles how does it make sense that our President of the USA is calling for us to conserve and NY is not allowing me to be legal although my moped fits thier specs? How is it we live in a day and age where every nickle we put in our gas tank supports the killing of our Countrys kids and I can't legally and safely get 100mpg!

Any help angles or suggestions in dealing with this nonsense is greatly appreciated. How do I become a licensed manufacturer, ect.

In conversation with NHTSA today, it has come to my opinion that pedal assist bikes are not motor vehicles by Federal Law. Anybody with first hand knowledge of this, please enlighten me!

If it's not a motor vehicle and the Fed's Laws trump State and local law, how is it possible to still get a DUI on a bike golfcart ect?

USDOT-NHTSA Washington D.C. 1-202-366-5302, giv em a blast and see what you find out!?!? They were very nice to me on the phone, Post the responce and don't forget Citation of Laws