what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Well, it's been a while since I posted but I haven't been neglecting the beast.

Today it was an adjustment of the clutch plate/flower nut assembly and replcement of the clutch cable. The engine wasn't engaging when the lever was released, now it is. The old cable (brake cable salvaged from a kid's bike) was probably mostly to blame.

In the last few months though, I've been through a number of inner tubes, replaced both tires, replaced the rear rim (6 broken spokes, boy was that a mushy-feeling wheel), tinkered, tuned, and tinkered more. Overall keeping busy, just been having some rough times and haven't been feeling social enough to post about it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I test rode my bike to test the tensioner I made. 6.5 miles and the only problem was the pedal side chain locked up. It jammed up between the smallest cog and the drop out, an easy fix. The tensioner and engine drive chain worked flawlessly (knock on wood).

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Well, tonight wasn't so hot, and I needed more razor cartridges. (But who needs a rationale; I would have rode anyway.) It wasn't such a bad ride. But it could have been a whole lot better.
For some reason Murphy's Law feels it has to establish its reality. Now, I ride with my headlight on in the daytime. I ride with it on at night. So, when does the bulb blow out? You all know the answer. (Oh I carry a spare headlight bulb. But the one thing I didn't have in my trunk was a flashlight. Why? No clue at present.) I somehow managed to fix it in the dark without loosing anything (that I know of) and moved on.
Now, I also just cleaned my bike after the previous ride. So tonight some rustic, rural Philistine in the car ahead of me tosses a fast-food sack full of mayonnaise packets out the window into the path of yours truly! Just got in from cleaning her again. And I just learned that I've tracked in mayonnaise! Sheesh!
Ah well, I still have to say: even a lousy night of riding is better than no riding at all (provided there's no accident involved.)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Sometimes ya just gotta break down without the tool ya need to find out what tool ya need. Took me a while to put together a decent tool bag. Now I gotta put a small flashlight in it too.
fatdaddy:-||

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i rode mine like everyday. so far almost 400 miles on it and haven't had to do any work to it beside a flat tire after i put my bell no flat tube in it lol. really enjoying it to ride from the north shore to the south shore over the mountains to work. sounds like a long ride but only 10 miles lol. small island

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

i rode mine like everyday. so far almost 400 miles on it and haven't had to do any work to it beside a flat tire after i put my bell no flat tube in it lol. really enjoying it to ride from the north shore to the south shore over the mountains to work. sounds like a long ride but only 10 miles lol. small island
Only a long ride if it's raining.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Looks good Griz. I did notice ya got a quick release on yer seat. I've lost a couple seats that way. Ya can't watch em every second. Came out from Wally World one day to a NO SEAT situation cause of a quick release. The bike itself was locked up tight. The seat, not so much.
fatdaddy.
P.S. They'll take the wheels too.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

You can get a battery cable and 2 "star nuts" for headsets, run a length of cable through each and tack-weld them or epoxy them, and jam the star nuts into the seat tube and seat post. Jerks can still steal your seat though. If you fill your bolt heads with solder or wax, it makes it harder to use, but takes longer for thieves to take them. I think some people steal the seats or s.p. and seat just to take out their road rage on bicyclists.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Took a chance and made a new rear drive sprocket for my top hat adaptor. It WAS the chainring from an early 80's Team Murray bicycle I found in a trashpile. Haven't put it on yet but everything matches up!

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Took a chance and made a new rear drive sprocket for my top hat adaptor. It WAS the chainring from an early 80's Team Murray bicycle I found in a trashpile. Haven't put it on yet but everything matches up!
Not a bad job at all. But can't ya just buy a 44 tooth 9 hole sprocket? Then again, I guess there's something to say for recycling.
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

In the middle if moving so no funds for the bike fund. :(

I drilled a bunch of little holes,beat the center out,and then hand filed it the rest of the way. Don't have any "big boy" tools. Don't even have a proper socket set!

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

So, when I pedaled off from a stop today I bent the crank arm about 15 degrees. =O I'm going to replace it with the arms from my wife's long-dead mountain bike.

After replacing the crankset, the only original "bike" part on my bike will be the front forks. I've replaced the fuel petcock, fuel line, clutch assembly, clutch arm retaining screw, magneto/CDI, both wheels, rear sprocket and mounting hardware, chains, handlebars, throttle, brake levers/cables and clutch lever... pretty soon it'll be reliable. At least I have a really good and solid steel frame! =)

I'd definitely have liked to start off with a good bike first, though. Let that be a message to prebuilders...

Last edited:

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California

Today I tore apart the carb after a small ride. Now I'll be rebuilding it soon. Still not sure if that'll solve my issues but possibly.

and discovered my home made sandwhiching is coming loose on the rear sprocket, oh well just 1 bolt, maybe I should've not skipped the last one (wasnt going to touch any spokes)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Re: Installed Goat Herder style gas tank

This is What I did today...Wanted to put it in the same location as goat herder but the brake cable is in the way.
I like it! Is there a thread of how it is done. Atleast I was wondering about the three screws, do they just go to nuts glued to the nylon gas tank container, or go through with nuts inside and you seal the holes?

MT