Death of a China 70cc... Now onto Morini 5.8hp

GoldenMotor.com

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
Well my china motor has finally been destroyed by a 3 cent part... The retaining clips broke (at the right angle bend) and got in between the cylinder and the piston... Two days later I was riding my other bike and the bottom end bearing went and trashed the cylinder and piston. Just my luck... Now im gonna repair the engine with the bad bearing and sell it.
I purchased a Morini 5.8 hp S6 engine from herdan on monday and already have it mounted on my black bike :) Currently awaiting a 36 tooth sprocket before I can test it out ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Looks good! If I were to suggest anything, I think you should try a 44-47 tooth sprocket. A 47 is my all time favorite for the streets. It still has plenty of bottom end, climbing power and top end. When I tried a 36 it took a while for the bike to hit the power band but when it did it was definitely too fast on the top end (55 mph and still not hitting its top speed) I have a high quality 36 tooth from Kings Sales and Service if your interested.
I'm not sure if you've seen this but here's a picture of my bike climbing a steep hill with a 47 tooth. YouTube - My Italian 50cc Motorized Bicycle climbing a hill @ 40+mph
Good luck on your project. From the looks of it, it looks like its going to be fast.
If you know anyone else looking for a Morini. Pipelyne sells them for $50 less.

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I looked at the motors on the Morini site. Is that a kick start on the right side of the engine? I wish I could afford one, I'm starting to get a little annoyed with the Chinese kits.

:-||

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I looked at the motors on the Morini site. Is that a kick start on the right side of the engine? I wish I could afford one, I'm starting to get a little annoyed with the Chinese kits.

:-||
Yeah that is a kick started Fin, I would love to have a Morini but I don't think I would ever have the extra cash for one.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion easyrider, maybe Ill go with the 44 tooth I got sitting around, also thanks for answering my million and one questions about which motor to go with.

I had plenty of money in my china engine after I got it set up the way I wanted and the darn think grenaded... I figure for $502 and the reliability and power gained I would be better than a china motor anyday. One cannot appreciate one of these motors until you see one in person, the excellenct machine work and overall high quality of parts assured me it was money well spent :)

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Yeah that is a kick started Fin, I would love to have a Morini but I don't think I would ever have the extra cash for one.
Yes, but I have been considering going to a 4-stroke and the cost of one of these engines is about the same as the cost of a half way decent kit and I am already set up for a 2-stroke. Would it be a bolt in replacement for a china girl? Does the engine come with a carb? If not does Morini make them? So many questions!

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Yes, but I have been considering going to a 4-stroke and the cost of one of these engines is about the same as the cost of a half way decent kit and I am already set up for a 2-stroke. Would it be a bolt in replacement for a china girl? Does the engine come with a carb? If not does Morini make them? So many questions!
It could be nearly a bolt in replacement... throttle, kill switch, chain, sprocket all work with the morini. The only thing that would worry me is the chain tensioner and maybe the bolt system for the rear sprocket... Im sure both wouldnt hold up.

Morini's come with a Dell'orto carb already mounted, mine is the Dell'orto SHA 14/12

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
It could be nearly a bolt in replacement... throttle, kill switch, chain, sprocket all work with the morini. The only thing that would worry me is the chain tensioner and maybe the bolt system for the rear sprocket... Im sure both wouldnt hold up.

Morini's come with a Dell'orto carb already mounted, mine is the Dell'orto SHA 14/12
I have one of Jim's sprocket adapters and I don't plan on riding hard and fast. The tensioner worries me though even with the china engine. Hopefully by the time I can save up the $$ I'll have a solution for that. Thanks!

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
not sure who i talked to at pipelyne but they quoted me at $490 + shipping and herdan quoted $502 +$9 shipping (website price is wrong). I decided to get mine from herdan since I could pick it up and have it immediately rather than wait to have it shipped. Pipelyne and herdan have replacement parts available if one wanted to upgrade their motor to the 9.4hp one. Both places are very helpful.

Pipelyne:
(408) 279-2307

Herdan Corp:
Franco Morini KickButt Engines

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Got to ride it today and as reported in another thread, the low and mid acceleration are about the same as the HT engine (44 tooth currently installed) but at 28-30 mph (~7500 rpm) all I can say is wow... It comes to life and you better hold on :). I lift at 35 mph since its still new and the manual says break in takes 300 miles. Its also remarkably quiet at idle and Id say about 1.5 times louder than my HT when under acceleration. xct2

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I would say with your 44 tooth sprocket, your top speed is around mid to high 40s. As for attaching the rear sprocket, we recommend using a disc brake rear hub because the last thing you want at high speeds is snapping a bunch of your spokes. Congrats on getting your bike going. Lets see the finished product! .shft.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
If you have the time I would love to see a list of the differences between the Morini install and the Chinese. I am still trying to decide between switching to a 4-cycle kit or one of these so it would be nice to know what I am getting into for either case. I guess I would need to switch to a larger sprocket since I want to keep my speed under 20 mph.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Here's the pictures: I used the rear disk mount but had to make an adapter to allow the sprocket to spin closer to the wheel since this frame isnt designed for disk brakes. I modified the expansion chamber I made for my 67cc china motor.

TO INSTALL MORINI:
-3 custom mounts
-custom exhaust
-custom sprocket mount
-custom chain tensioner
-REUSE:
-throttle
-kill switch
-gas tank
-sprocket
-chain

Total time: 12 hours (most spent on welding exhaust)

The clutch and motor get better every time I ride it :) -Justin

Attachments

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Sweet looking Idler there. Why did you move the sprocket closer to the wheel? Was it to fall in line with the engine sprocket? The reason I ask is because I am not to that point yet . Just wondering. I am still a ways off from completing my full sus project. That exhaust looks a nice retro like a ww2 era look kinda grows on me. Cool work Dude!
I needed to move the sprocket closer to the wheel so the chain and sprocket would clear the frame, it isnt as straight of a chain line as I would like but it isnt severe enough to cause any problems.

Youll love this motor. I wish i never wasted my money on a china motor in the first place...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMPLIMENTS!! -Justin