New Centrifugal clutch coming soon

GoldenMotor.com

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
I heard from Don Grubee that he will have a new design CC coming in about a month. It can retrofit the old design. New design rotor pads will have tread grooves and have a metalic base to grab bell drum better and not slip designed to run in an oil bath which will be much better for the gears to get constant lube with no clutch slip. So be sure to nag Bicycle-Engines.com so he gets some in when there available.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
very cool Glack. Thanks for the heads-up. Any mention of how soon? (I had to buy a new clutch any way)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Glack, Was thunking on this, this morn. You think a stronger spring would stop the premature engagement of the clutch against the bell?

(hehe, he said "premature engagement")

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
What are the symptoms of "premature engagement"? No I'm not kidding.
LOL. The Honda spins very fast and even at idle, the clutch tries to expand. (unless the "engager" is left on the bike and GB) Is not a very big deal, more of an annoyance. Just sort of "clatters" away at a stop lite or when the engine is idling.

Or redness and personal drying.

Last edited:

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Dan: Don Grubee said he will have them in a month but I'm not sure if Jeremy at bird dog will be getting them right away. I haven't heard back. I did send him a message enquireing about them. I couldn't tell from the pictures if they have a garter spring or not maybe someone who is more formiliar with clutches has seen this design and knows. I also asked about a bearing design for the racer and bell fit together and he said it wouldn't be feasable and retrofit the the current gearbox design.

I drilled the 9 holes in my clutch spring groove and the chattering went away.

Attachments

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
By the way dan I did try to look into garter springs to see if there are different ones rated to open up at different rpm's but did'nt find anything locally. I think there are some companies on line that you could find that deal in a greater variety of strengths and desiggns but you would have do do some hunting to get the right step up to find the sweet spot for the honda. I just went with drilling out the 9 holes in the thin part of the clutch and that seemed to remedy it. I'll be getting the wet clutch pads soon as Jeremy gets them so I'm just gonna ride these ones out till then.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Some great information and pics Glack, thanks again.

Found 3 industrial spring manufacturers close by and will test and report. I am sure some one else must have already tried this and I am missing some thing.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
I noticed that in the photo on bicycle-engines.com now that you mention it. The replacement ones must be different. If you notice in the photo's of the new one compared to the old one that I attached earlier, they don't have any predrilled holes. Hopefully your new one won't open at idle. I still haven't figured out what holds the new design together if you look close in the center of one of the three sections there looks like a hole with some type of fastener under the surface maybe a allen head or something. Maybe the tension is even adjustable on the new one.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dunno. At first I didn't even see the actual clutch and was only seeing the shoes. Adjustable would be awesome! I doubt they are but would be a great idea. All around, they look good. Watch 'em come out the day after my new one arrives, snork

Last edited: