Honing

GoldenMotor.com

Flathead

Aug 8, 2015
Glendale az
My cylinder is like a mirror all I want to do is deglaise this w hen I hone with stone do I or dont I oil the cylinder I have new rings

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do NOT hone the cylinder. That "mirror" glaze is a chrome like plating and is very thin. If you hone it it will flake off and you'll have nothing but aluminum. These engines do not have an iron cylinder sleeve. You'll gain nothing by destroying the plating but you will be buying a new top end in a very short time.

Tom

Flathead

Aug 8, 2015
Glendale az
2Door can I still install the new rings I bought? On my piston ,,Also if not do I put the old ones back i forgot the order? Canalcat

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's always best to match the piston rings to the cylinder they were broken in on.
First question is why are you replacing the rings to begin with? Unless they are broken there really is no advantage to replacing them. They are going to wear a lot less than the cylinder and given the correct oil there isn't going to be that much wear.

Tom

Flathead

Aug 8, 2015
Glendale az
My gaskets were gone on the bottom and since had it apart new rings sounded like a good idea. How to determined top or bottom on old rings or just install new ones as is ?

Flathead

Aug 8, 2015
Glendale az
My gaskets were gone on the bottom and since had it apart new rings sounded like a good idea. How to determined top or bottom on old rings or just install new ones as is ?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
top of ring is where the gap is to fit around the locating pins in the ring land normally

I would look closely tho as some sellers buy parts from wherever they're cheap, so there may be pistons with pins other way around.

honing may or may not be possible on these - years ago, I would hone carefully to just break the glaze the tiniest bit, but on some more modern cylinders I think the chrome may be thicker, so I'm trying to get a bit more definition in the crosshatch - this could be an unneeded risk tho