New To Forums. New To Motorized Bikes. Getting No Spark

GoldenMotor.com

JayRen

Mar 3, 2015
Orlando, FL
I purchased the Black Flying Horse motor from Bikeberry.com. It's installed. Fuel Flows. But I am getting no spark.

Things I have done so far:

Replaced Spark Plug

Sanded Contacts Inside Plug Boot

Desauldered manufacturers wires from Magneto and Sauldered new ones in

(This was done because the magneto was not givine me any readings from the wires, but was reading fine from the contacts) After replacing the wires it tests fine.

Replaced Ground wire in motor
Tested CDi and it was within BikeBerrys recommended Specs

The motor is definitely engaging.
I've tested for spark against the motor with the dengfeng sparkplug I received with it, and the NGK sparkplug I purchased to replace it.
About the only think I haven't done is replace the spark plug boot, and the only reason I haven't is because it's testing absolutely fine.

I've seen a few posts on this subject here previously, but none with a successful solution.

I'm hoping someone here may have found one and just not posted it. If not, is there anyone in Orlando, FL (Avalon Park\East Orlando Area) that would be willing to look at it. Or does anyone have a recommendation for a good shop I can take it to for professional inspection.

I'm at a loss. Bikeberry says theres nothing they can replace if the Magneto and CDi test correctly, which leaves me and my stepkid disappointed because we've got a motor that is just sitting on a bike doing nothing.

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Okay......you've tested (and repaired) magneto, CDI and spark plug boot. You have two spark plugs. Maybe they're both bad. But that would seem unlikely.

So you're left with the spark plug wire or the wiring connecting magneto to CDI.

You might disconnect magneto-to-cdi and make sure that those connections are good. It's also possible that your kill switch is causing trouble right there. I've seen reports that these can sometimes cause trouble.

If that checks out okay, then you'll have to look at that spark plug wire. There's really nowhere else for a problem to hide.

Best of luck with it. I have a feeling you'll be riding soon. Because this sounds like a minor electrical mis-connection.

JayRen

Mar 3, 2015
Orlando, FL
Well. My fiance' did some research while I rewired, and found a few reports where the wires on the magneto were attached mismatched. We walked it to the gas station to fill the tires up a bit more, and I decided to swap the blue\white wires. And we got ignition!!

But it only ran for about 5 minutes then stalled. I suspect the carb is my next subject of inspection. And I think I'm going to take the advice on some of the other posts and pop a new boot on there just in case. I emptied the fuel pot in the carb and made sure everything in there was positioned right, and got another 5 minutes out of it. So It actually has a new boot, and possibly a new carb coming to it.

I think I'll probably be posting here more, there's a wealth of knowledge here, and after I get this bike done, after only getting 5 minutes on this one. I think I'll be building another one for myself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, you were right. I did get to ride it. And now I want it running even more. These things are addicting!!

EDIT: Kill switch is actually not even in the loop at the moment. I figured I'd take as many possible failing parts out of the equation and then work my way up.

Last edited: