time for new cylinder and piston/rings?

GoldenMotor.com

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
So I took apart my engine for inspection after a few miles with my new Fred head. And there's a big 1-2mm wide and about 2 1/2 inch long scrape on the wall just to the right of the exhaust port.... and I'm pissed. I need a new speed carb cause my Jerry rigged one with no mounting tabs came off. It was gorilla glued on. But the gas softened the glue and ofF came the carb. So back to the jug. The scrape is maybe about .2-1mm deep. And the piston its scraped up as well. So it's time for some new parts. Anyone know where I can get a good jug and piston with rings and a new high quality needle bearing for cheap? My engine is a dax gen 4 "balanced" would bgf parts work on a dax? CHEAPER IS BETTER :)

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Some barrels are a lot better than others,
I'm not familiar with either, but port timing can differ, as can port size,
I'm guessing that the Dax motor came with a barrel with the larger ports, I'm also guessing that the BGF barrel will have small ports.
So cheaper ain't always better.
I doubt that the one gouge is going to make a huge difference to the motor, Don't suppose you did a compression test?
If the piston isn't to badly damaged, maybe file any high spots, new set of rings and a light hone?
Iv'e seen a lot worse than that and still running well.
Pistons tend to be much the same, just two different wrist pin heights so you need the right one to match your rod length.