Cruiser Trike with 4-stroke dirt bike motor

GoldenMotor.com

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
Greetings,

I'm thinkin' about another build. This will be my second. I didn't think these things were ever finished, but it seems like my chopper is done. I ride it almost every day, but now I think I need a cargo bike.

My son found a cruiser in a dumpster and I ordered a Trike kit from PistonBikes.com. The trike kit has a sprocket for a motor, so it looks like most of the drive train work is done.

I plan to use a clone of the Honda XR 50, similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88CC-86CC-M...LETE-SET-/200569392177?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

These things have a built in 4 speed tranny, so hopefully it will line up with the sprocket on the trike kit to be an easy install.

I don't think I can sleep tonight; the trike kit may come tomorrow!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Are you willing to rent out your son to look for free bikes for us? All I ever find abandoned are the kids bikes with 12" wheels.
I have become interested in all weather versions of our motorbikes too. If you remove the seat tube to make room for the engine, be sure to support that part of the frame in some other way. You might connect that part of the frame to the top of the engine somewhere with aluminum angle iron to provide that support.

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
Thanks for your interest and for sharing the pics of the van and the trike. I never get tired of looking at vintage vehicles. At my desk, I have a pic of my grandfather's Mercer Racer.

No trike kit today, but no worries, I worked on the frame instead, until I ran out of brazing rod.

I agree that when the seat post is cut, it needs something to replace it. Fortunately the engine has mounting points, top and bottom, almost in line with the post, so I think as you suggest, it needs aluminium brackets, top and bottom.

<<Are you willing to rent out your son to look for free bikes for us? >>
Yes, all you have to do is send him a plane ticket.

Attachments

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
Greetings folks,

I made some progress on the trike until I ran out of welding gas. Pics tell all. Ordered the engine; should show up next week. I can't wait!!! The engine is a Honda 50 clone with an 88cc jug.

Here is California, we are limited to 2 HP and 30 MPH. The bicycle license form says "not to exceed 30 MPH on ground level". I think it should say "on level ground", since we are always on ground level except when jumping. I plan to gear this thing way down, so I can prove that it will not go over 30, but for the HP limit, I think it is OK to set up the throttle so it will not open all the way, and drive cool, slow, and quiet (I also ordered a muffler).

Revision to the sketch above: The seat can not go where shown as it would be much too high. To start, I plan to sit on the platform, then maybe install a recumbert or fiberglass bucket seat a few inches above the platform (forward edge of platfom is where the angle bar is).

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Bed frames are good finds :) Living as I do in a rural area we have a lot of tractor and machinery dealers and they often get stuff delivered in steel framed crates. I pick up this steel framing whenever i see it because buying steel is getting so expensive now.

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
<< love the way that frame looks with the trike rear >>

Yup, the cruiser frame is a classic. I saw your thread on "Must See bikes" Awsome; thanks for that Curtis.

The engine came Monday. Good thing I'm retired, otherwise I would of had to take a sick day to play with the engine. Anyway, I made a pedestal mount for the engine and brazed the trike rear to the cruiser frame.

The mount points on the bottom of the engine are offset (actually they are for foot pegs on a dirt bike). The engine is offset about a 1/4" to the left of the bike so that the chain will clear the frame.

I'm putting a jack shaft between the trans and the hub. Also I will need to make an extension for the kick starter.

Will send more pics as she progresses.
Happy motoring!

Attachments

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
<< Your plan to lower the seat should help to make it more stable and will no doubt look cool, too. >>

I was worried that a low seat would be bad ergonomics for pedalling, but it seems OK at this point without a test ride. Just a few more details and I'm ready to take it out on the road and be a crash test dummy.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Your trike is looking very nice indeed. Something to watch though, Lifans with forward facing carbys have a bad habit of swallowing water in wet weather which can lead to rings rusting to the cylinder bore. That's how I was able to buy one of those Chinese mini-choppers for seriously cheap due to the owner's carelessness over where he parked his bike.

Pelican Pete

Jan 4, 2012
Ocean Beach, California
Thanks Intrepid, your build is looking good too. Glad to know about the forward facing intake; now I can see that it may gobble a lot of water when beating to windward in a rain squall. Hopefully I can fashion a rain hood with a glossy magazine and some duct tape when in that situation.

I thought about making a retro style scoop out of copper. Maybe something oval with a hammer-tone, green patina finish, and an integral rain baffle; so much to do....

For now, i'm getting an itch to ride this thing, so I did a quick rattle-can primer coat. I will let that age for a few weeks while I ride it. Then I can paint it later. Pics show the new primer job. Everything is ready for assembly today!

Attachments