Looking for a fairly priced helmet...

GoldenMotor.com

ratman150

Feb 19, 2014
Murphy Texas
As a joke I told my friends I was going to get the German spike style so I could put my receipts on it.

In all seriousness though, safety is a major concern of mine. I have ridden full face covered helmets on motorcycles in the summer here before...However I'd prefer being able to wear it for long periods of time.

That being said, any suggestions around the 100$ mark?

ratman150

Feb 19, 2014
Murphy Texas
Alright, I've been searching about the web. The nearest motorcycle shop to me is...Couple hours by car if I remember correctly....Last time I was there was when we bought my father's Yamaha (long since sold and forgotten Q.Q)

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I bought mine from cycle gear. There's a store right here in town near me, and their prices are very reasonable. They have a really good quality helmet for $39 right now. Looks like there's one in Plano, so not very far from you at all.

I have the techno Bluetooth modular helmet, and it's suited me just fine. The Bluetooth version cost a bit more, but it was definitely worth it in my opinion. Being able to listen to music makes the ride less lonely, and I can voice dial from it as well. So 911 is always a quick dial in an emergency. Plus I can receive phone calls on a ride instead of trying to listen for my phone or feel it vibrate. But their other helmets are pretty nice as well. I've been considering getting a non Bluetooth helmet as a spare... I can't take any electronic devices in to work with me.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I picked mine up at a spring motorcycle show a couple of years ago. Decent brand, it's a 'Voss', has a tinted visor that hides in the front of the helmet, swings down to be my 'sun glasses' over my goggles.. with the 'show special' pricing it was around $100.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I REALLY don't like helmets.
...only wore one in the past when doing aggressive off-road dirtbike riding, and then, to keep the tax collectors from writing me up when the laws changed to mandatory.

I would advise trying helmets for comfort before making a purchase.

Also, I do not care for tinted visors... a number of times I ran out of daylight and the alternate condition became VERY perilous with even a smoke colored visor!

Presently I have a $3 bicycle helmet from the thrift store for my $3 head.
Best
rc

Oh... I would not wear a 'coal scuttle' helmet... could possibly generate spontaneous hatred and rash action from some members of the motoring public... and bad publicity.

ratman150

Feb 19, 2014
Murphy Texas
Yeah well, I don't want to scare the **** out of my girlfriend...I haven't worn a helmet in over a decade now, but riding at night and no helmet would just be asking for it here.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A few years back I'd have recommended a good cycling helmet, but they're getting REALLY REALLY cheap- I was looking at some just a week ago. I don't think it's any transportation conspiracy or nuthin....

but they just make them weirder and with plastic inner supports that will go in any first crash-

so get a heavy and hot DOT BELL film helmet and be very very angry at the people so concerned about your own male saftey issues constantly youre absolutely uncomfortable but safely still living

the next time you find yourself sitting on that helmet
in vice president chains Brother!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A thickly padded leather Kucharik helmet once saved my life but thast's just another boring story of glory days-

at any speed at all- your head may crack like an egg if it hits something.
.duh.

Attachments

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Keep in mind that price does not always reflect quality. Sure, a $5 helmet is probably made without any R&D, but one that meets DOT requirements is not made with shoddy craftsmanship. I paid $200 for mine, and it's a damn good helmet. I could have gotten one identical to it that is not modular or Bluetooth for $50. Most times what you're paying for is bells and whistles. And as manufacturers make more of them, the price goes down.

It's really the age-old debate of "mine is better than yours because I paid more", which allows people to justify spending the money that they did. Like Craftsman vs. SnapOn tools for any one who has worked at a garage. I destroyed a snap on impact socket on the same bolt a craftsman version took off without issue. It's not about paying more, it's about being smart and being able to identify quality over brand name price gouging.