post pic's of your bike locks and security HERE !!!

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
ok i wanted to start a thread for people to post pic's and descriptions of the locking and security systems they use on thee motor bikes !

i feel it will be helpfull to everyone to see what others are useing and mabey give us all some good ideas !!!

here is what i use.....

the chain is a boron carbide steel chain that is nearly 2in thick LOL its rated for 5,600 lbs of force, and the lock is a circle type master lock !

now i chose sutch a big chain because i know a standard pair of bolt cutters CAN NOT CUT THIS !!! i know this for a fact because i work at a hardwasre store and we have a hydrolic chain breaker with a beak type cutter, its rated for 5,000 pounds of force and it could barley cut this !!!!

i chose the big old circle type lock because its made from stainless steel and has a boroncarbide clasp, and the clasp is shielded by the lock, this makes the airia the clasp closes around the chain too small to get a pair of bolt cutters in !!! thislock cant be cut with bolt cutters simply because once locked you cant get the cutters around the clasp !!

there is a standard bike lock next to it for comparison....

and just incase i catch some one in the act..... i keep the M249 SAW around lol !!!!

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
there are more reasons why to choose boron carbide chain and a circle lock

this is why...you do not buy those U locks for your bike, they can be opened in less than 3 min with a bic pen !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-LWGJzglho

here is what theaves use on small chains cable and small locks.... compressed air ! it freezes the lock and allows you to smash it off !!! you need a lock big enough and a chain big enough that a can of compressed freon or air will not freeze it all the way !!! you need a lock that has the clasp shrouded to protect it if it does get frozen !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j4DqevlIRY

in the top video a woman opens a 130$ U style new york bike lock with a bic pen in 3 miniutes !!!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
wow........... i was watching some videos on youtube, let me tell you how fast some people can pick a master lock !!!

even the expencive magnum series master locks that cost 40$ .... the average lock pick with a 20$ lock pick tool can open it in 2 min !!!!

does any one know of a real lock that is a bit more difficult to pick than a master lock ??? or am i going to have to use 2 differant locks in series to discourage the lock pickers ???

i saw a guy opem the very lock i use with a home made picking tool he ground from an alen wrench and it took less than a min !!!!

then there is a word combo version of my circle lock and i have that too so i looked it up and shure enough ..... there was a guy who was showing people how to open it by grinding down a fila guage and sliding it in the second wheel.... then boom the lock opened !!!

i think i will have to use a combo lock along with a key lock to keep the pickers confused lol lock the chain together in two places one after the other

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
U Locks work great, I have them on all my bikes. They are small and easy to store and deploy. I frequently run errands and lock the bike to a handicap parking sign post (on the sidewalk side of course) right in front of the store or restaurant I am visiting. None have even been stolen.

Yup, no match for 30 inch bolt cutters, but I don't use those round key bic pen ones either.

I can tell you I ain't never gonna carry 20 lbs of chain & locks on the bike. It's not like I have to lock it to a tree.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
U Locks work great, I have them on all my bikes. They are small and easy to store and deploy. I frequently run errands and lock the bike to a handicap parking sign post (on the sidewalk side of course) right in front of the store or restaurant I am visiting. None have even been stolen.

Yup, no match for 30 inch bolt cutters, but I don't use those round key bic pen ones either.

I can tell you I ain't never gonna carry 20 lbs of chain & locks on the bike. It's not like I have to lock it to a tree.
LOL LOL i actually do carry 20 pluss LBs of chain and lock !!!! but i am possitive no one will cut or break it !!!!!!! put it this way ... the 5,000lb hydrolic cutter at work had a hard time cutting through this boron carbide chain !!! there is no way any bolt cutters will go through it ! you may get the handles closed on your big bolt cutters only to find when you open them a big gouge in your bolt cutters blades and the chain unharmed !!! LOL

for someone to steal my bike they would have to cut a 3in section of frame off my bike with a battery sawzal and pull the chain out LOL.... but then the bike would be ussless wouldnt it ?

the 20 pounds of chain makes me feel safe locking my bike to things ... i know it wont get stolen ! i found the most comfie way to carry it was to fold it in 2 and hang it around my neck for easy acsess. another reason i keep it around my neck is so i can grab it quickly when i am attacked ! i have srsly been attacked by road raged drivers before !!! so now the 20lb unbreakable chain hangs from my neck and searves as a warning for would be attackers and provides "killer" security LOL

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I use one of these.
http://onguardlock.com/products/coil-cable-locks/doberman-key-cable-lock12mm/
The cable tends to squish flat rather than sever when bolt cutters are used against it.
This "feature" has saved one of my pedal bikes in the past.
The lock is not the round key style but a flat key where the bumps are on the flat sides of the key, both sides. Yes, it can still be picked, but it is a PITA to do and takes alot longer than a traditional flat key lock.