atombikes' 2007 Whizzer NE5

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
OK look what I just bought! A 2007 NE5 with a purported 79 miles on the odometer. I believe the mileage. It has some corrosion on the chrome (I think due to being used at the NC Outer Banks).

Got it for $380 including a new helmet.

The only thing I believe it needs at this time is a new key (or ignition switch). The seller was selling it for her husband and could not find the key. So I bought it without actually running it. Hopefully not a bad move on my part.

Whadaya Whizzer experts think of my purchase? Be honest- need to know what I got myself into!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
It looks nice & really good price. Looks like it has an auto clutch. Did you get a title?
I did get a title. Not sure if I need to register it in VA, but I figure the title would be a good thing to have. Is the auto clutch a good feature? I have tried to read up on it; sounds expensive to replace.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice looking bike at a good price.

I only hope that the lost key isn't a smokescreen for 'ruined engine'.

Sorry to be so cynical. But people are just not to be trusted on matters like this.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Yeah,
I totally understand the skepticism. I suppose I also was think the same thing. Yesterday I took the tank off and started to do a little general cleanup. The gas in the carb was like turpentine, and there didn't appear to be any gas flowing from the engine. I swapped over a petcock (after cleaning the tank) and got gas to flow. Next up is the ignition switch; since I had the tank off I took note of what type of switch to buy.

The color is really growing on me.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
you can get a new ignition switch for $15. + shipping. PM me & I'll give you the info. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
You have a great deal! does the motor turn over? do you know the starting sequence?
Yes, I got the documentation with the bike (consisted of two color glossy brochures and a "owners manual". The owners manual is not very comprehensive, but it does tell you how to start it. :)

And yes, the engine turns over. I was able to check that before money traded hands. I guess I thought that even if there was something internally wrong with the engine, that I would be able to fix it and still not be under water on the price.

Last edited:

McBob

Nov 27, 2011
Wisconsin
You Are Golden sir. cant imagine what could be wrong. There are parts available. low miles. gummed up carburetor. classic deal.
Bob

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Here's a pic of the carb. I read somewhere that later model NE-5 had an aluminum spacer between the carb and engine, and that if the engine has the spacer chances are there are also some mods done internally in the engine that make it better/more reliable.

Doesn't look like mine has the spacer.

Anyone know if this is true? I understand the spacer will act as a thermal break.

Last edited: