No More NoMoreFlats

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You are very welcome it feels good giving back a little knowledge when I have taken so much
I know exactly what you mean, I enjoy helping someone solve a problem or just knowledge that might make something easier, Lord knows I've had that done for me on here way more times than I could ever count.

Map

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL..... so I'm assuming that you know that the 18" tubes are correct for the 24" bicycle wheels biknut.

Haven't had a chance to do any measuring yet myself.

Map
No I'm claiming they won't fit, no how, no way. 18 inch tube will be way to small for a 24 inch rim.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No I'm claiming they won't fit, no how, no way. 18 inch tube will be way to small for a 24 inch rim.
We are talking about 18" motorcycle tube vs 24" bicycle rim, as it has been said already, the bicycle measurement is of the tire size and not actually the size of the wheel, that is why a 21" motorcycle tube work perfectly in a 26" bicycle tire.

so in my thinking 26" - 21" = 5" difference

so 24" - 18" = 5" difference

so according to this and all things being equal, the 18" motorcycle tube should work just as well in a 24" bicycle tire as the 21" motorcycle tube does in the 26" bicycle tire.

More measurement when I have time will tell the tell for sure though.

Map

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've used heavy tubes in bicycle wheels and I've found them to negatively impact acceleration, handling, ride, and braking. Heavy wheels always do this on bicycles. Of course, nothing is worse for performance than a flat tire, especially on a drive wheel! :D

I've been testing Michelin Protek Max tubes for a year and a half. These tubes are unconventional in design in that they have an almost square profile and are textured. The idea behind these tubes is that they pinch punctures shut. The tubes also have liquid latex in them (similar to Slime) to aid in that endeavor. I have 2400 miles on them so far and no flats yet. They are decently light too.

I highly recommend the Michelin Protek Max!

so in my thinking 26" - 21" = 5" difference

so 24" - 18" = 5" difference

so according to this and all things being equal, the 18" motorcycle tube should work just as well in a 24" bicycle tire as the 21" motorcycle tube does in the 26" bicycle tire.

More measurement when I have time will tell the tell for sure though.

Map
Umm, look at your math. 24-18 = 6, guy.

A 21" motorcycle tube works in a 26" bicycle wheel because a typical modern 26" bicycle wheel is actually 559MM (ISO designation). 559/25.4 = 22.008". Air in the tube will allow is to stretch just enough.

A modern 24" bicycle wheel is 507MM. 507/25.4 = 19.96". Therefore, you will have to stretch that 18" motorcycle tube an extra inch compared to the previous example. Have fun with that.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
On my 29" tire I found a Duro tire that has an imbedded polyethylene thorn guard and a tough jacket on the sidewall. Add to that a tire liner and Slime and no flats. I live in an area with goatheads. I have found them sticking out of the tire with no air loss. They go in so far and that's all, I don't think they have even penetrated the first line of defence :)