Trip to the rockies on new build.

GoldenMotor.com

silverfox

Jun 29, 2012
Rocky mountain house, Alberta
Last Monday was the departure day.
I had my build reliable, broken in and loaded for bear.
I have upgraded to the #41 chain on a 66cc chinagirl,
I had put on the cns carb, but after much fiddling, i resorted,
on the second day to return to the nt for the time being to have a good trip.
had also upgraded to a 41 tooth sprocket and with all the weight i had on, it worked great.
I climbed to over 6000 feet from 2000, worked great, cruising speed was 35 km/hr.
I was using opti 2 at 100:1.
it was a total of over 600 km return trip, in 5 days,
On the last leg of the trip, i was feeling pretty confident, and got brave and did a wot test to see how she ran, i was amazed,it got past the vibration and just kept goin, i did a plug chop and all was great, so after that break i let er sing in the 8-10k range,all was great till i went down a looong downhill.
obviously, she didn't get enough oil or cooling on the big end bearing and it rattled it,i kept running it for 15 km and she sounded horrible, and was running brutally hot even at low rpm,I stopped took the head off to reveal a bad connecting rod bearing,
so i pedalled it and only used it up hills as it was a hot day,by then it barely ran, so i just pedalled the last 20 km, and on the last hill, it's a long one, i turned the motor on and she finally seized up..
I just ordered a new kit and they'll throw in a new big end bearing, i'll rebuild it in the wintertime, it didn't even scuff the piston, so that oil really did pretty well.
Overall i am pretty pleased with these.cflg

Attachments

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Your engine seized, your bearing failed and using Opti lube was a success? I respectfully disagree.

If you are going to be riding the Rockies, please purchase some Maxima 927 2 stroke oil and blend it at 32:1. You won't have any problem in the mountains no matter how hot it gets riding up hill.

Good luck and take care.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
First of all, nice ride. Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering why didn't you kill your engine and coast down the hills?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks! and yes, i know I was bad lol
It just sounded great,till....inevitable disaster struck...
peace
IC, in other words you were having fun LOL. It's still good that you let us know what happened. I've often wondered if it's bad to coast down a long hill with the throttle closed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
On the last leg of the trip, i was feeling pretty confident, and got brave and did a wot test to see how she ran, i was amazed,it got past the vibration and just kept goin, i did a plug chop and all was great, so after that break i let er sing in the 8-10k range
When you say 8-10k, if you're referring to rpm, sorry but you're mistaken. The 66cc china girls redline at maybe 7500 rpm. Perhaps if it was all downhill it may have spun to 8k or a little further, and this is why you seized. It was not a faulty bearing, it was improper operation. Not to be rude, but these engines are not made to handle being spun out downhill. Had it not been for that, the engine may have survived the trip.