Just Got My Poulan 42cc Saw today. Any tips...

GoldenMotor.com

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Just got my 42cc Chain saw for $50 in good condition. Immediatly pulled it completely apart for a thurough cleaning and checking out to see how these things work. The drive line has a clutch on it which I have already taken off because i don't think it will be needed. Not sure how im going to be mounting it yet but any tips on what to look forward to would be greatly appreciated. I have a camping can which i will be using for a Tank and im not quit sure how i am going to rig the throttle cable yet. The one thing im confused about is, will the setup need to be constantly on the tire or am i going to have to cantilever it when im on and off the throttle?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
If you don't use the clutch then yes you will have to cantilever or gravity clutch it off the tire, otherwise it will stall, be hard to pedal and eat holes in your tires.'

deacon uses a lever ad I use a pulley system, you can find posts on here about both set ups.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Found some post but no close up pics. Im going to have to read more thuroughly. Im going to have to work on the friction drive roller also. The Chain saw motor is i bit more work then i expected but it was the only thing 40cc or more within budget.

Thanks Shoes.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I've got some pics up here somewhere... I also made a ghetto diagram...

Follow the link for my flickr page in my signature, I have loads of pictures up there in my bike things set. I have a few up close shots of my pulley system. The diagram I can't find that on my computer right now but it's up here too...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome to the world of chainsaw bikes.

I have moved on from the lever to a new reverse mount with a cable lift. It's all pretty much under
http://motorbicycling.com/f36/addition-ryobi-mount-info-3943.html

This is the latest mount information. Don't use that suicide throttle on the 42cc engine, it is too dangerous. Use a mountain bike shifter if you have one. Even a brake lever will work. You need to attach the cable sheath to the engine mount somehow so that it will move up and down with the engine. otherwise your cable will not work in both the up and down position.

Parts of the mount are all over. I have the craftsman 42cc engine which is a poulan. It is a fine engine.

Drive wheel, get yourself a steel bike axle peg about an inch in diameter. Make sure the axle hole will fit over the drive shaft and threads. If it won't drill it out so that it slips over them easily. The threads won't need to go too deep because you are going to have to get the butterfly nut from inside your clutch assembly welded it onto the peg. thats your drive wheel.

Mount: I use a piece of angle steel brace from the hardware store. Let it hang over a few inches on the ends. You can cut it off later to the size you want. Use the kind that those cheapo steel storage racks are made with.

I sit the engine on it and then I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of the case. You won't be using the gas tank or the oil tank so it's okay to drill into the bottom of the case.. I run a couple of screws into the case. I cover them with some quick set epoxy to lock them into the case. Be careful once to put them in they won't becoming out.

These days I am using the chain tensioning rods from the chain link fence section of the hardware store to make custom braces. I run the braces from the angle steel at the bottom of the engine to whatever holes there are in the chainsaw case. I tie it all together double nut and locktite it once i am sure of the fit.

Hook it to the harp with a strap hinge. Use a spring for tension and a cable to lift it from the front.

This is the last incarnation of the friction mount. It is also the simplest and cleanest yet.

Ask any question you have. I will be happy to answer. I have pretty much moved my experimenting to my blog but I am working with that engine and a smaller poulan all the time so keep an eye there for more improvements to the design. You also need to read the two chainsaw bike builds I did here. Those posts are evolutionary so read them both to the end they aren't that long.
Friction Drive Bicycles

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just got back from riding my 42cc chainsaw bike. The engine is a bit much for me but having the reserve power is okay. I wouldn't have paid for it but given the price it was the way to go. I expect 33cc is plenty for me. There is nowhere I go that I need to be in a hurry.

You will love the bike when you get it finished.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Great Thanks for the help guys.

Passed a Yard sale today and thought i'd take the time to turn around and check out. there were 2 used bikes in the front, but it happened that they used to own a bike shop and had a bunch of odds and ends stuff all at half off of what wa on the stickers. Alot of stuff i had already bit the bullet and bought at local bike shops like tires $40, ouch! I ended up getting a full face 661 Helmet, OnGaurd Bulldog Lock,Talon Brake lever, Wedge Bag, bottle holder, and glasses with 3 extra lens for $80. Sounds alot but all are brand new and the glasses have Dark lens and yellow for dusk which is what i was looking for. They had 2 Brand new Giant MTB Alloy for $200 they retail for $400 in the local cycle shops, would have been nice but my freebie MTB will take me just as far. The brake lever I can use as a throttle and the helmet i can always use.

I picked up some Pegs from Wal mart that measure at 1.5" OD, it has a 3/8 threaded hole and the threaded shaft on the saw is a little under 5/16. Im afraid tha if i weld the clutch wing that it might be off center and wobble when on. It would be nice to have a clutch on the saw and im racking my brain on how it might work, I'll let you know if i have any ideas to collaborate with you guys, or maybe you've tried already.

Thanks For the tips Guys. I've ridden super bikes all my life and for once i can't wait to ride a bike going 30mph rather then 130mph.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Hey shoes, I posted a thread on lights and then saw your flickr page? How are those lights working out for you. I picked up a set from Harbor freight and am going to try them out next to the axle on the front tire, Low Lights. I noticed that you have to tap them every so often to turn on, something about the cheap soldering, said the guy at HF. Have you had any problems with them and hows the brightness on them?

Shoes, What was that 47cc engine off of?

Last edited:

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I use to have a real sweet Poulan saw. It was a very reliable tree monster.
The extra power with that engine is a good thing to have Deacon, it helps keep the engine from burning up on the load of your ride. I weigh in at or around 250 myslef, those little 50cc to 90cc units are not even enough to get my big bone rock bottom moving, much alone trying to keep a good steady pace on the road. Maybe whne I was 14 @ 160lbs they might have worked OK back then. But for now, I require a minimum of 250cc or more to make anything worth the money.:ride:
Thats why I ride 1380 EVO Ultra-Classic Electra-Glide most everywhere I go.
My little hood hopper is just for the hood and nowere else. A 19HP Tecumson is just about too small as it is for my needs to run around the hood.:eek:

Maximo