getting the most milage out of your battery

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was reading a technique someone uses to get considerably more distance out of his electric bike. anyway what somebody wrote is they take the bike to a desired speed and lets off the throttle and pedals lightly till the bike drops 5 miles per hour then powers it back to speed. with the ease that an e-bike pedals. i think this will work really well. i know mine coasts forever on flats and down hill is a given. i get more then enough distance for the majority of the rides i do but it will be a fun experiment to try

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
an electric motor uses the most energy at or near stall speed also makes the most heat. Therefor the reason lights dim when a large electric motor starts up like on a 5hp or larger aircompressor. Want to extend your battery pedal up to speed and pedal going up hills. Are MANY threads in places where the starting watts can be 3X or more the average watts consumed on flat ground at the speed they want to cruise at.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i guess i should have clarified. i always pedal till i am moving along however i was seeing this as something to do in addition to the already well known ways to conserve battery power

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
as with a gar powered bike WOT will consume more gas then 3/4 or 1/2 throttle same goes for a Ebike. Why i am looking into the middrive systems that can take advantage of using the bike gearing in the rear wheel as its more efficient than a hub or other single speed drives. Yes I have been doing my homework

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
me to. i am trying to learn all i can about electric bikes. i have a lot to learn for sure. when i first got it i was always wot. now that i am riding it alot more i find 20 - 23 mph is a real comfortable speed which is around 3/4 throttle or less and have not ran battery out since i first got it. i think the farthest i have gone without charging is around 22 miles which with the hills and stuff here is real good

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Pulsing can't hurt, to a point, but wouldn't a constant speed be better conservation? Sure the regenerative braking will help, but I don't know, even pulsing with gas burns more fuel. Electricity is still a fuel :/ Maybe Barely can chime in since he has the same hub, or other eBikers.

Can always try a couple 10k routes, one with pulsing and one without on the same route, see what has more charge left in the batts? Dunno, just a thought...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
compared to some I know nothing. But the fact I want to build one drives me to learn all I can. And hopefully not learn anything that is not correct as it will cause me problems in the future. Ment no disrespect Just saw a flaw in "rip it up to speed" will save on the batter power. The simple fact of being 14 miles out of town and 6 of that being rather steep hills I have to have the most efficient system I can get.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'd hafta vote for a "constant" or regulated speed over the "pulsing" as described above - with our speeds & HP pulsing 5mph variance at top speed or cruise w/the resultant amp draw is too much...

The "conservation mode" I use for the extended trips in excess of my worst case scenario range is fairly basic yet effective - leaving my bike in it's top gear all the time, I'll pedal assist all take offs and set the cruise control/maintain throttle to about 22-23mph out of a max 26-27 level ground. When I encounter enough of a grade that the bike slows below this set speed, it now conveniently matches my bike's tallest pedal gear (20-21mph) and I'll begin assisting it to maintain that speed until it can sustain that 22-23 again unassisted.

This method alleviates the maximum load draw without much effort... thing is the manual throttle control isn't very precise and it can be difficult to attempt to maintain a set speed, resisting the urge/inadvertently increasing the throttle to compensate for a speed loss - particularly while pedaling.

It's interesting to note that the cruse control feature with the MP hubs works via a "pulsing" effect however - but that pulsing is far more frequent & active than the 5mph mentioned above. Maintaining a set speed below WOT & on level ground results in a series of "micro-pulses" a fraction of a second on/off/on etc. (& variable duration, the more it's needed the longer the "on" pulse) but not at maximum power., when a hill is encountered it will smooth to a steady on to attempt to maintain speed uphill & off completely descending/coasting downhill.

When using the throttle manually, say just holding it at 3/4 or so there's no pulsing or disengagement - it's a steady input regardless of speed & even in excess of the normal speeds achieved, it's continuing to supply some amount of power even going downhill. So to conserve power w/o CC a constant manual throttle manipulation is required as is restraint - gentle engagement/re-engagement & never exceeding that 3/4 mark...

...and it may be just me, but I find to sustain a set speed like that not impossible - but difficult, particularly while pedaling. The throttles on these things aren't that precise and there's the urge to WOT assist your pedaling instead of the other way around.

If I'm downtown, concerned with pedestrians, stop n'go traffic or otherwise and thus CC is not an option I'll tend towards a simpler if less effective method of conservation - WOT to accelerate with heavy pedal assist to reduce the duration of amp draw/increase acceleration & then manual throttle modulation, remembering off completely to coast downhills.

The differences between CC & manual may be "splitting hairs" ...but power/fuel conservation is often best achieved through exactly that, particularly consistency. All your conservation efforts can be negated with one "slip" - WOT to max speed or uphill w/o pedaling can conceivably use up miles of sustained, moderate cruse with just a 1/4 mile of such decadence lol

...but I'm no expert & I've no fancy meter to monitor input/output, it is however easy enough to gauge the relative effectiveness of the above as you can usually hear the motor's engagement & load levels clearly - obviously the louder it is, the longer the duration = the harder it's working, the more amps it's consuming ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...The simple fact of being 14 miles out of town and 6 of that being rather steep hills I have to have the most efficient system I can get.
Just as a BTW - your requirements just about exactly match (within a fraction of a mile) my 48v 1000w MP hub w/a 15ah LiFePO4 without any conservation effort and in hilly terrain...

...but only just - should you be beset by headwinds or w/e you'd fall short *shrug* still with conservation & some pedal assist I've exceeded that by 10 miles & more, the maximum range in "conservation mode" I've not yet managed to establish... I s'pose given the pedaling aspect that's more determined by your bicycle & pedaling ability than anything else *shrug*

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
barely

I still have to make the return trip home on the same charge so the total mileage can be 28-to 40 depending on if and what stores I stop at after work. charging at work is not always going to be an option as most of the time I am not there long enough.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Agreed - I meant your total round-trip mileage (28), I'd not leave ya stranded at the half way point lol - to clarify, 28 miles is my maximum range WOT & w/o any pedal assist.

I didn't include this in the above ranges as it'd be cheating but as a BTW - when I know I'm going to exceed my point of no return (15mi) I simply bring my charger to leech power w/e I can while I'm shopping/eating/having a coffee or whatever else. With no memory effect or other unfortunate traits other battery types suffer - intermittent/partial "quick" charges have no adverse effect. I've only a basic 2a charger but the Ping LiFePO4 & BMS can take up to a 5a w/no hazard (2&1/2 faster recharge obv)... I just hafta get one heh

The 40 would be tough w/a 15ah & 1000w hub tho, either there's a bit of pedal assist (conservation mode above) - or simply get a better/larger pack, even a 20ah w/moderate to little pedal assist should be sufficient however.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Your statement is an obvious oversimplification.

This topic is about any method used to exceed the established, normal range of an electric bike via throttle modulation as well as momentary pedal assist to reduce the disproportionate amp draw during start-offs and steeper hills.

Last edited:

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
I did lots of tests with my mini ebike trying to get the most miles.

Starting off easy and pedaling hard on takeoff helped the most.

Pedaling hard at speed did not help as much as I thought it would.

Putting on skinny 100 psi tires helped milage too.

Just small hills around here.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have been thinking about putting on slicks. however the bike is new and so are the tires. i figure i would wear these ones out a little first which seems to be happining fairly rapidly. still researching a good slick to put on it. like everything else i will have to have it shipped to the island

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Ibedayank,
True about controllers with no hook-up. Thats a bummer if you do not have one.

Now, about getting the most milage out of your battery. KEEP OFF THE THROTTLE. LOL

I have a CA and did some testing with the pedal along thing and found that pedaling as fast i can in the highest gear does not really save very much juice at all. My watt hour would barely change pedal or not. I am watching the figures in real time on the CA display as im riding.

There is a sweet spot where it would run at its most efficient. To get the most range it needs to stay at that speed. Starts and stops take alot more power and i found out that pedaling while taking off still does not really save that much battery.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
What I do know is there are bikes out there that take less then 20 watthours per mile in batt power. The cheaper motors seem to take more power to run as what my research has shown. Kits like the stokemonkey with a sub 750 watt motor seem to give the best return as you can keep the motor running in the sweet spot more. If range is the # top goal then a 50mph Ebike may not be the best idea more like 20mph for extended range is more doable?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Here is a ebike simulator that mite be interesting to play with. You can see what kind of combo set-ups will give the range and all the statistics you need.

http://ebikes.ca/simulator/

Be sure to change the amount of throttle applied. Check out the difference in range when only 60% throttle applied compared to 100%

Last edited: