gears?

GoldenMotor.com

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i have a china bike, and its running great. (got it today actually)
but i already like the idea of gears. how well does a jack-shaft work? does it make it like a dirt bike? also i was thinking i could buy a range of sprockets and mount them with the sprocket on the left side of the bike and put a derailleur on. would this work?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Easiest way to multiple gears for you engine is on your left (see left of this page for sponsors and look to "shifting kits" by SBP.....

You could go about making something yourself BUT SBP makes a good kit and it is way easier to have it all premade for you.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
on that note a jack shaft is not hard to make, what is hard is finding the right gear/sprocket for transferring power to your rear derailleur system... The chains are different.

you can buy a jack shaft for a go kart and that should work but for that transfer of power to the rear sprocket...

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I have posted links to a couple places with the supplies required to do such a thing. Just do a search on my postings and it should pop on up for you. The jack shaft is the best and most for your money when it includes gearing advantages. There is a calculation also on the web for gear ratios and tire set up too. I believe you can find it under the conversion charts if you do a search, "conversion tables". You will in a totally differnet world once you install the jack shaft kit. It really makes a big difference.

Maximo