Always Carry Tools

GoldenMotor.com

ProMcCown

Mar 21, 2012
California
I'm still fairly new to MB's and a couple weeks ago I decided I finally take my bike to the store instead of around the neighborhood. At the time I didn't know that the pin holding the clutch arm in the cover was missing. So I rode and got about half way and had to stop at an intersection. By this time the clutch arm assembly had vibrated up and out of the cover. So when I went to stop and put the clutch in nothing happened so I looked down to see what had happened. So I stopped and because I didn't have any tools was trying to figure out how I was going to get back home with the bike while the back wheel was locked. At first I decided to huff it and just picked the rear up by the seat and started walking. Half way home and was stopped again trying to figure out a better way to get back home. Noticed the drive chain had enough slack that I was able to get the chain off the rear sprocket and ride the bike back home. Never leaving the house without some tools again.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I also carry a baggie with small parts like nuts and bolts, master link, other small parts. It served me well when the pin holding the clutch actuator in fell out. I had a tiny #3 screw that threaded into the hole. Worked better than the stock pin and never backed out :)

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I carry a fair amount of tools and spare parts due to past experiences.

1. Spare spark plug (had one fail internally 12 miles from home-did I mention I hate pedalling)
2. Spare chain
3. Spare derailleur (a misshift with a shifter kit bike can ruin a derailleur and bend the chain)
4. spare CDI and magneto (had both fail at separate times)
5. Spare intake gaskets (had one blow on last 100+ mile ride causing engine to run very lean and overheat
6. Tools-various to perform most maintenance but especailly tighten up drive chain on shift kit
7. Spare nuts/bolts (had mufflers fall off, studs break,e tc...etc..l)
8. Spare needle valve and e-clip for carb. lost an e-clip once when carb needle valve fell off)
9. 2 oz of degummed virgin press castor oil: perfect to premix with fuel if topping off at gas tank
10. army downed aviator mine flare and mini flare gun. I often ride in the mountains in the middle of nowere out of cell phone range.
11. High calorie survival bar and water filtration device (see no. 10 for reason)
12. Emergency blanket and emergency sleeping bag - only on long mountain rides.
13. Small propane powered solder iron, with small amount of solder (had wires at magneto fail due to bad solder and vibration...usally I fix during builds but carry with me anyway)

Last edited: