44t v 36t sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

I have both sprockets and wondering which i should put on my bike.

I live in a relatively flat area, but there is one pretty big hill i take to get to my friends house once a week or so.

Other than that hill, The only other big hills i have are overpasses.

Which should i use?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Use what you need.

The 44 has better hill-climbing, but less top speed and a lower safe (<6K RPM) cruising speed.. The 36 has more top speed and less hill-climbing, higher safe cruising speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I have a 36 tooth sprocket myself but I also have a SBP tuned pipe. It will go up some pretty steep hills but I think you will have to "help it" up the steep ones. Its a good idea to have some gears on the pedal part of your bike so you can assist it. These bikes are technically Motor Assisted Bicycles not motorcycles. I was talking to another bicycle rider today and he referred to my bike as a hybrid. I think that is a good description.

Quite a few times I turn the engine off and just pedal it around.(like when I am in a parking lot or close to the university.)

mike

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
44 tooth works great for me. I usually get into the high 30s speed wise, and I get plenty of hill-climbing power. I do live in a hilly area though. If I lived on all flats I'd definitely switch to a 36 sprocket.

Someday I want to try out a 36 and possibly have both the 36 and the 44 sprocket mounted depending on where I think I'll be riding.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Switched to a 36- loved it. Less revs and motor screaming, vibrating constantly
I climbed a reallly steep over a mile long hill and only bogged down a bit finally near rthe top-

just got a 34- putting that on now here in flat Florida-

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
Alright, i Think I'll go for the 36. For the hill, ill just help it a bit... What do you guys suggest for tuned pipes? i was looking at the sbp pipe, and was wondering what kind of increase you guys got out of it.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I have a SBP tuned pipe and it made a huge difference in the power output. I "feel " like the power has doubled. One of the drawback is that there is a huge peek in the power curve. It almost feels like a light switch was turned on or off. I also had some problems with the tubing used to seal the pipe, so I acutely welded most of the pipe together replacing the brass tubing with steel bits. The reason for that was that the brass tubing stated to melt.

I don't know if I set it up wrong in the first place but after that I have had no further problems with it. I know that I had to tune the pipe to get it to rev right were I need it.

mike

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Use what you need.

The 44 has better hill-climbing, but less top speed and a lower safe (<6K RPM) cruising speed.. The 36 has more top speed and less hill-climbing, higher safe cruising speed.

It's not rocket science.
What do you mean by higher or lower safe cruising speed?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I mean higher or lower safe cruising speed for the motor.

Overrevving a chinagirl is arguably the quickest way to kill it. Let's use 6000RPM as an example to call "redline".

With a 44T and 26" wheel, you'd be going about 26MPH @ 6000RPM.
With a 36T and 26" wheel, you'd be going about 32MPH @ 6000RPM.

If your typical cruising speed is 25MPH, the engine is turning at a "safer" RPM with the 36T. You'd be turning just under 5000RPM at 25MPH with a 36T.

If your cruising speed is dictated by the RPM of your motor (some start shaking/vibrating earlier than others), you'd have a higher "safe" cruising speed with a smaller sprocket.

What do you mean by higher or lower safe cruising speed?

Reactions: Saddletramp1200

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
36 tooth was always my fave did take a little longer to get started you have to pedal up to a higher top speed but as long as you have a good run at it shouldnt be a problem i never had one threw it a little pedal help here in there but for the speed increase i got and the little loss in hill it was worth it a 100 and ten percent
laff

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok Guys, here is one for you. We have the best minds from over the world here. Why can't we make a derailuer that would allow 44 AND 36 tooth sprockets? 18 speeds have them. Why not us? A lever on the frame to change it. Think about it. (c)

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I see what you're saying, I'm not sure which sprocket I have but I would prefer a 36t simply for the lower end power and hill climbing. Doing 28mph is fast enough for me.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
With a 44T I could hit 32MPH easy. With a 36T I can hit 38MPH easy. I'll try to graph the all around power for you. Torque 1-10, I'd say the 44T is around 8, the 36T about 6. Hillclimbing, 44T also 8, the 36T 5. Top speed, 44T 7, 36T 9. Cruising speeds on 26er's, 44T 24-26MPH, 36T 29-32MPH. Final thoughts. I loved the torque the 44T had but here where it's mostly flats the 36T is the best for my bike. I can cruise at lower RPMs at higher speeds, and with a Xchamber the powerband on a 36T starts around 28MPH whereas a 44T will star around 23MPH or so. overall I love the 36T and I'm sticking with it. Hope this is clearer than mud.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
reason for signal rear cog.

the main problem I see for a two speed cog in the back is the fact that you need (at least in my bike) to "BUMP START" the bike and that requires a tight chain. It would be very hard to get your drive chain over to another cog and have it start your motor at the same time. If my chain gets a little loose it will jam up in the housing of the engine and then you day is not off to a good start.

mike

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Retromike3: I love that statement of yours: "If my chain gets a little loose it will jam up in the housing of the engine and then you day is not off to a good start."

In other words it will just be $hitty day!

Terry

• Haha
Reactions: Saddletramp1200