Project picking up steam...sprocket adapter question...

GoldenMotor.com

tathambenjamin

Aug 25, 2011
Chicago
I have been buying parts to put together a bike. Here is where I'm at:

1) Just purchased a Trek Earl as the base bike for the build.

2) Won a Morini S5n on ebay in unknown condition. Has compression, turns freely, and thats about all I know til now, though it looks complete.

3) Have purchased the connector between the exhaust port on the cylinder and the exhaust.

4) I have a brand new carb that should work fine with the engine.

I want to order some more parts, and next on the list is the sprocket adapter to fit the rear wheel. However, I have read a lot about the morini engines having considerably more power than the china girl engines, and the rag joint seems insufficient as a means of putting power to the wheel. I would rather pay a little more for a nicer adapter and not risk damaging a new bike.

So, I don't know exactly what the rear hub of my bike looks like (because it hasn't arrived yet), but it is a flip flop/ free wheel and fixed gear hub that I am going to run with the free wheel on the pedal drive side. Many of the road bikes, some of them trek bikes, that I have had before have hubs with irregular dimensions that are not suited to the adapters I have seen from guys like sportscarpat, as well as manic mechanic and others.

What is the best solution?

Is there an adapter to the adapter?

Is there a ready made option that I have overlooked?

Is there something i can modify at home to make this work?

Ideas and opinions appreciated. I will try to find a picture of the Trek Earl hub.

Also, this is off topic for this section, but who else has done a rebuild of an S5n? I would like to hear about what needed replacing and what to look out for. I have done minor rebuilds on larger 4 stroke engines, but never such an extensive rebuild and never on a 2 stroke...dnut