I did a bad thing.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought a 42cc chainsaw engine last night of ebay. I have a 31cc ryobi and now a craftsman chainsaw engine on the way to me. I do have two bikes I want to build so I guess it could be worse.

I just couldn't pass up the chainsaw. It didn't have a bar or chain so it was pretty cheap. Most likely I'm going to be cussin' it like I was the poulan but we will see.

I know one thing for sure, I will not be prying on the carb controls. This could be the ultimate friction drive diy engine, if I get lucky. The 33cc is almost perfect in that it pulls most of the hills around here under power. A couple, which would cause the china to strain, need help with the 33 friction drive. I would like to see this one climb those without the help except to keep the speed up.

It should take a week to get here, so when the ryobi comes in a doa or so I need to decide which one I want to put on the suspension bike and which one on the old mtb.

I have one more 20" coaster rear wheel. I will have to use the small coaster wheel on the mtb bike if I put the chainsaw on it. I will have to buy a road tire for it as well. I need the low rear end to swing my old body onto the bike.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
OH MAN!!! If you put that 42cc chain saw on the suspension your going to be in love. I'm sure that thing will have all the pull/push you'd ever want! Not to mention a smoooooth ride.

If you got it for cheap enough it's not a bad thing ;)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I took a good look today and it has to go on the suspension.... The suspension had the rear coaster wheel and I rode it so I know the pedals don't drag.

The frame is funky but I figured I would bolt a big big L bracket to the rear forks. Bolt it in three places to give it plenty of bite, then hang the engine up a little so that it sits close to flat. Actually if it hangs with the rear end at an up angle it will make the gravity clutch easier to work.

I had thought about having the friction drive welded to the clutch on the chainsaw. I still might but I also might just go with what I know. It depends on how it looks once it gets here.

Yeah this might be the ultimate bike for me. Get rid of that china bike once and for all. I am going to put the 31cc ryobi on the mtb with the busted engine. This time I'm going to lock everything down tight. I got some red nail polish to use as thread locker. A buck for about twice as much as they have in tube of loctite. the red will let me know that I have indeed sealed the second nut.

I paid thirty bucks for the engine delivered if it really runs I'm going to be thrilled. I paid twenty for the bike so with hardware I might have 80bucks in the build.

Last edited: