Sprocket open to small for the drum!!! help!!!

GoldenMotor.com

smemo666

Jun 20, 2011
Chicago
Hi fellas,
I just received my kit, skyhawk GT2B 44cc, after find some issues I noticed that the opening of the sprocket is smoller than my HUB.
I have a crouser, couster with a internal 3s shimano nexus shift on it and the drum diameter is somewhere around 2".
I looked around and found no info on what to do.
I guess I can buy a sprocket with the necesary opening, but where can I find it?
Is there any other whay to proceed?
Also, the motor came used! I mean really used not bench tested. there are signs of wear at the chain sprocket area as well as all the screws worn down, and the engine full of gas and oil.
Thanks for your help.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
This problem actually is quite common.The old trick is to grind away on the outside diameter of the bearing dust cover of the hub until it will fit inside the sprocket.
I cannot recommend this as it will allow dust, dirt and grit to enter the bearings on that side of the hub.
The new trick that alot of folks are now doing is to carefully file or grind the hole in the sprocket larger so it will fit over the dust cover. This way the dust cover remains untouched so it will do it's job as designed. Do take care to keep the hole as round and centered in the sprocket as possible as it will help with radial centering of the sprocket when you install it.
Here, I did a search for you on the subject:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31086