Q-matic problem

GoldenMotor.com

Rusalko

Sep 9, 2010
Illinois
I've been working on my latest build for weeks now and just yesterday came my first test run! It is a micargi cruiser type with a ez-motorbike automatic kit (brand new). After fixing a few chain-tension issues I took the bike for a spin and everything seemed to be working fine, although it seemed to me like the rpm's were pretty high for how fast I was going. When I got to the end of the street I turned around and started to drive back. The street was a slight incline on the way back and the bike continued to run up the rpms but the power being transferred was not enough to climb a very slight incline. Also i'm not sure what the transmission/engine should sound like but it sounds like something may be scraping and there is a rubber burning smell. I haven't broken in a 4 stroke engine before but this doesn't seem normal to me. I've stopped running it for fear that it might get more damaged.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on here? Thanks

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Give your dealer a call. What size sprocket are you runnig and how big are you? It might be you need stiffer gearing with a bigger sprocket. I'm 200 pounds and run a 64 tooth on mine. Seems about right and for steeper hills a bigger sprocket than 64 would be even better. At first you may get some odd smells as heat first goes through the exhaust, burns up some oil coatings, maybe. There shouldn't be burning rubber. You might try removing the transmission cover, starting the engine and see if everything looks OK 'under the hood' as the engine is running. Don't rev the motor high standing still. Also give some pedal assist at first when taking off and going up hills. Check your bike's drive line (chain going to the driven sprocket to see that the alignment is good. I leave the engine off when I do this, just walking the bike along watching the chain as it makes it's circuit. There should be some give on the drive chain... too tight is not good. It sounds from your description like something is binding. Sometimes on a new build it takes a little time for everything to kind of 'seat' and as the engine gets broken in it will give more power. Let us know how it goes...
SB

Rusalko

Sep 9, 2010
Illinois
i have a hd rear wheel with integrated 44 tooth freewheel sprocket and I weigh around 180 lbs. I'll take those suggestions into practice, I took the cover off and everything looked pretty good but then again I don't know exactly what to look for :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You beat me to it, Bill. 44 is way too small. Bill and I both deal with hills and tow kiddie trailers. Mine, as I said, is 64 tooth and I believe Bill's is 72. I think the 56 is really minimal... flatland riding with a moderate sized rider. I'm happy with the 64 and even so there are times on steeper hills I wish for lower gearing. I understand Bill can just about climb the sides of buildings, not that it is recommended. I got my sprocket and adapter from Pirate cycles.
Have fun with your bike.
SB