a few ideas for mt next OP Roller

GoldenMotor.com

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
The more I look at it, the more I want to cut down the seat post level with the other tubes. Then, make a seat pan like a motorcycle, using a metal rear fender just like with a motorcycle. Flip the handlebars, springer fork with disc, rear caliper or disc (if possible), remove coaster brake.

I think it would be a pretty awesome "chopper". I love these frames, as I see antique motorbikes in their lines.

lets discuss...

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Use the search feature to answer you questions. Lots of people have built the OP cruiser, I have a good chunk of $ put into mine.

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've got a bit of money into my current op roller, I am thinking of going a bit more custom with my other roller and just was looking for some thoughts and ideas.

I guess what I'm asking for is approval. Lol

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
by all means... doit! there, you've got my approval... LOL (that & 5 bucks will get a cup of joe at the local starbucks) . seriously thou, sounds like you've got a good plan... i'm headed in a similar direction myself.

good luck brnot

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm going to start Sunday. Hacksaw time!!! Heck, I paid $75 for two of them, might as well go for it with one. I'll only be out $37.50 if it all goes south. Lol

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
cut the post down (couldn't wait)... sat me pretty low... feet on the pedals will be impossible while sitting.

I tried to move the stock seat back closer to the rear tire, which worked fine until I sat on it and the seat went into the tire.

So as I see it, rigid seat will work to get me farther back... but I'll need "highway pegs" to ride this thing after sitting down.

I also flipped the bars... would be painful in a crash, but, with the right forks, very nice look.

I have to think this pedal thing through, look at options, search the world for answers.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've tried to give it some thought, as you have HB, and I did cut the seatpost above the cantilever on mu huffy frame, to lower the seat and mount it further back.

Basically, for most, it will make it difficult to pedal, and create a need for even more work on the frame... (Most mods require additional work, to compensate.)

I have seen pics of where a seatpost tube was welded in, angled backwards, from down lower on that seatpost tube, leaning backwards at the top, maybe 4: closer to the fender/tire, at the top.
That effectively supports the seat, further back.
Next is the pedaling issue, when seated... this can be amended by moving the BB forward in a 'townie' position and using a few chain idlers for the longer run.

IMO, flipped bars are dandy if you wish to cruise very slowly... profiling for the bystanders... OR, if you wish to lay down against the tank with your feet well to the rear on pegs for a hi=speed run.

For me, apes are really the most comfortable bars. YMMV :)
rc

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm also considering a straight bar for the handlebars.

Also, a lay back may be in option to get the seat in a proper position

I may eventually just go with "show pedals" as in functional but never used. Pull start and centrifugal clutch.

I'd really like kick or electric start, but, I haven't seen too much on those options yet.

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Put on a 20" wheel in the back, big difference!!

I patterned out a seat pan and will have that cut soon, I'll clamp it to the frame in several places, as it's just to hold my fat ass up.

I'll be pushing the post back about 6"-7" and may use the stock seat or something similar, I'll have to weigh my options.

I'm looking at springer fronts, and rear brake adapters (may just use a caliper rear)

I sat on it for about 20 minutes last night just thinking, LOL