Lock your bike to a non movable object

GoldenMotor.com

StealthInspired

Mar 13, 2012
UK
We've had cases here where the THIEF (in a couple of seconds) puts a couple of his own locks around your own locked bike!!! Then you return to your bike, find its been locked like this, cant get it off, plus dont have time to do anything about it so make your own way home.

The thief then returns later in the evening or at night, when no-one is around, removes his locks, plus has the tools to cut off your lock also!

If you have a bike that has quick release seat and wheels on it, you are asking for trouble, locking that up unattended in public - even if not a thief, some bored kids will find it funny to take the quick release bits off and discard them further down the road or just keep them!

It's a sad world we live in. lol.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
We've had cases here where the THIEF (in a couple of seconds) puts a couple of his own locks around your own locked bike!!! Then you return to your bike, find its been locked like this, cant get it off, plus dont have time to do anything about it so make your own way home.

The thief then returns later in the evening or at night, when no-one is around, removes his locks, plus has the tools to cut off your lock also!

It's aggravating how often ingenuity and wrongdoing go hand-in-hand. I hope I am never so much in a hurry that I have no time to deal with a problem like this. I suppose if it were me, I'd call the police and explain the situation. If they couldn't help, I may call a friend to bring me my cordless drill, goggles, and the dremel mandrel with a few cutoff wheels. (I really should just get a cordless dremel.) But I would NEVER leave my bike like that. I'd make cell phone calls, borrow a phone, whatever I had to do. But no Leaving the bike. And if I can do anything about it, that thief will lose his chains at the very least.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Ya i rode my bike to work the other day. I left it outside and someone stole it.
Its a good thing I pulled my r-pin and pulled my engine off my bike and stored it in my work locker!!! I spent 12 bucks on a new bracket and i was off!!
Thats what i like about my kit is it just pops right the bike in 2secs so noone can see it on my bike. They couldn't walk by my bike without taking imagine how quick they would taken it with an engine on it..lolbrnot

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
I have a 6 foot cable "club" lock. It goes in my backpack, & everywhere with me & my bike! I also have a small cable lock on my seatpost for quik trips to the store.

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
2stroker; do I understand you, that you removed the engine from your bike and put it in a safe place for the day? Please clarify this for me! And, if they took your bike lesss the engine, it must have been a nice bike. BMF

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
What kind of kit has a detachable engine? I have not heard of that yet.

re: locked your bike, to steal it later.
I hope the next little commie that does that, find himself faced with a whole family or gang of bicyclists, when he comes back to steal the bike.

Ya i rode my bike to work the other day. I left it outside and someone stole it.
Its a good thing I pulled my r-pin and pulled my engine off my bike and stored it in my work locker!!! I spent 12 bucks on a new bracket and i was off!!
Thats what i like about my kit is it just pops right the bike in 2secs so noone can see it on my bike. They couldn't walk by my bike without taking imagine how quick they would taken it with an engine on it..lolbrnot

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
With my engine you just pull out the R-pin and it slides right off. Its cool. Its a bumblebeebolton. If you google it they have a website with pictures. But i had a swhinn discovery 700c. I was bummed out when i walked out the back door holding my engine thinkin i was gonna slide it on and ride..Lol..heres the website i found it. www.bumblebeebolton.com think they show it in their installation video. good luck guys.

Ride em Hard Put em away hot!!!!.we.

Last edited by a moderator:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Link is de... oh w8 there's a "..i" on the end to delete, for those that haven't seen a bumblebee

\,,/ Happy.

We all need one of these, even if half as talented. Dog guards owners bike, then rides off with him.

I've always liked the idea of a motion sensing/alarm screaming lock too. But people cutting down trees to get my bike is going to make me bring spikes and a hammer if I need to lock to a tree, gah!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great video lol'
Link is de... oh w8 there's a "..i" on the end to delete, for those that haven't seen a bumblebee

\,,/ Happy.

We all need one of these, even if half as talented. Dog guards owners bike, then rides off with him.

I've always liked the idea of a motion sensing/alarm screaming lock too. But people cutting down trees to get my bike is going to make me bring spikes and a hammer if I need to lock to a tree, gah!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You must have seen this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcV4LVhSRLg (thief cuts down tree in crowded street, with an axe, to steal a huffy, then decides not to take it after riding it. zpt

\,,/ Happy.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think it would make it easier to push to their house where the power tools are.

A quick disconnect on the clutch lever on the engine to make the bike a non rolling brick would deter theft.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
U locks probably work for most things, but the punishments are not high enough when they do get caught, so it increases their ambitions and risk taking.

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
2stroker; Your engine setup looks good and is a great idea! I ride my mountain bike on dirt and sometimes muddy country roads so a engine system that drives against a tire would not work for me. My little 66cc China girl does a great job in my situation for me. I keep it in a locked barn when not in use. But still, I am interested in a good way to lock/secure it if and when I take it somewhere unattended. Hope you make out okay with your ride in the future. BMF

Mojo

Dec 26, 2011
33755 Clearwater Florida
so they stole the bike, but you had the engine in your locker, so you pot a 12 dollar bracket and you were off?, did i miss the part where you got the bike back ? lol (old post? oh well sorry lol) could not help my self!

brnot

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you get tired of the china kits, you can get a Dax chain drive. He has rear mount systems that look about like the friction drive, but use a gearbox and chain, and cogs like the china kits. I think you can also convert the Dax friction drive into a belt drive (run the motor on the other side, use pulley instead of friction roller, add your own pulley or sheave) I've thought about doing that but I'm doing well with the FD where I live.

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
Man! - after reading this thread, I'm happy to live where I do. I'm not saying things like bikes don't get stolen here, but I leave my bike everywhere - unlocked.

Feb 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
My non-motorized bike got stolen in such a creative way and it happened so fast I stood and watched and couldn't do anything. I went outside to my parking space in my apartment and someone tied a chain around my ulock and hooked it up to his truck and drove it to cut it open and threw my bike on the back of his truck and ran off.

I wonder, if I had a direct drive motorized bicycle with a really heavy engine and somehow locked up the clutch(since direct drive bikes can't be rolled or pedaled if the clutch is released) it would be left alone since it would be too heavy to lift it up.