problem with throttle slide

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My throttle slide keeps getting stuck because it is shaped slightly wrong. My idea is to file it down just till it is small enough to fit properly. Any thoughts?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I would NOT file it down.

How is it getting stuck, when you're accelerating or when you're putting it into the carb?

If it's when you're accelerating, clean the barrel and the slide thoroughly.

If it's when you're putting it in, clean it and try it again until it takes, you're just putting it in at a weird angle.

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
loosten the screw that holds the carb to the intake manifold. Then work the throttle and see if it sticks with the screw loose. Sometimes the intake is out of round and when you tighten the screw it knocks the carb out of round. If it doesn't stick anymore you need a new intake. Get a machined one

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, I am not putting it in at a funny angle. It is not shaped correctly. Its not even flat on the bottom. It is very difficult to put in. It's a very tight fit. It get stuck when I am accelerating. It doesn't even spring back on its own like its supposed to, even when its not stuck. But when I try to get to full throttle, the slide gets stuck at the top of the barrel. I was planning on filing it first on the bottom to get it flat and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, my next step would be to file the sides of the bottom edges. I just want to file it enough that I can put it in without having to shove it. Right now I have to use a flathead screwdriver to push it all the way down.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
It might seem like it, but they're all shaped funny.

Like I said - clean it and try again, not much else I can tell ya. Lather rinse and repeat until it's good.

If you file it you're going to have more issues - just letting you know.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Let us know how filing it works out for you so future generations know.

The point of cleaning it lather rinse and repeat style is this.

The first time - it might be dirty. Every time after that is to get you to calm down and try again until it takes. Heck, I've had that happen and tried 30-40 times, cleaning it every time inbetween. Eventually, it takes.

Any 2 stroker loves being cleaned and polished up anyways, it's like scratching a dog behind it's ears.

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Is the adjustable needle that pokes down through he slide bent?

It could be hanging up going in and out of the emulsion tube under the slide.
Take it out temporarily and see if that's it.

The slides will also hang up badly if you tightened the top down on the carb
tightly with channel locks, Loosen it up and try that. Mine doesn't like pliers.

TiM

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No, the needle is not bent. The slide is not shaped correctly. Tried sandpaper already, didn't help, so I bet steel wool won't help either. I am only gonna file it on the bottom.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I fixed a motorbike this week that had the same problem but worse.

The owner had tightened the slide cap with pliers, warping the bore that the slide fits in.

Do not use pliers on the slide cap, hand tighten only.

Do not file or sand the slide, it has a teflon coating.

I used a penknife blade to scrape the slide bore of the carb at the tight spots.

I would push the slide in until it stuck, pull it out and scrape out the slick contact marks that the slide.left in the bore. .

I had to repeat this method about 10 times until the slide worked freely.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Oops, already sanded the slide. Not the whole way around, only on the bottom edges. Same thing I'm gonna do if I file it. I am not gonna file the whole slide, only the bottom edges. I don't see what its gonna hurt.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bean,
Is the slide, barrel, brass colored or black? The brass ones can give you some problems and CAN be sanded slightly with #400 paper to make it slide easier. Put a few drops of oil on the slide before assembling it into the carburetor. Please let us know if this works.

The suggestion that the carb can be too tight is accurate. The top where the cable enters the carb does not have to be more that hand tight. Don't use tools. The carburetor to intake point can also give you a problem. Overtightening an out-of-round carb to the intake manifold can also cause a binding condition in the slide.
Does it seem to work right when the carb is not on the manifold?
Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The slide gets stuck whether the carb is on the manifold or not. The slide isn't black, its like a dark grey/brown color. I guess that's the brass colored one? Not sure. The problem is definitely between the slide and the barrel. I have inspected it thoroughly and I know for sure that either the slide or the barrel is out of round. The more I think about it, it could be the barrel. I have used tools to tighten it in the past. Tomorrow I will see if I can fix it. Its an NT "speed" carb, if that helps at all. Maybe there is a way I can get the barrel back to round.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I tried to reshape the barrel so the slide would fit. At first, I got the slide to fit a little better. But the more I screwed with it, the worse it got. Eventually, the slide would not fit at all. Luckily, I had the top half of the carburetor from a previous kit. I had tried to use that part of the carburetor before, and it had leaked badly. But I believe it was because I did something wrong. The old carb had a gasket on it and I didn't know it. So I was putting another gasket on, and I believe that was what caused the leak. However, today when I put it together, it was dripping fuel from underneath the valve, out from the bolt that holds the valve to the carb. I thought tightening that bolt would stop the dripping, so I took a socket wrench to it. Big mistake. The bolt never stopped, so I kept tightening, and the bolt sheared right in half. So now I have got a carb with no fuel valve. I'm hoping to locate the bolt, either in my garage or somewhere on this forum. I really don't want to spend $20 on a carb just for one little part.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Found the part in my garage. Tightened it first with a screwdriver, but didn't get it tight enough. So I VERY CAREFULLY gave it a few slight turns with the socket wrench. Didn't snap it this time, but its nice and tight and doesn't leak. I'm good to go now, thank God! All I need to do is put my chain back on and most likely reinstall the chain tensioner.