New Cranny build underway!

GoldenMotor.com

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
ha. i just got a new leather spring seat, and it's huge! i now have to do some reworking behind the seat to get it to fit in a laid back position. i had installed a 5.56mm ammo crate and ran my DIY battery kit for my lights and switches into it, but now i think i'll move it down to the side of the rear rack, and go your route with the iron plumbing for the seat post as well! funny i thought of it last night, and then saw your picture this morning.

ALSO i just got the CNS v2 carb two days ago... and from stock (adjusting air/idle screws) i can't get more than 15% throttle from it. i'm going to try adjusting the needle clip today... but ugh. if i buy that DAX carb, what the **** am i going todo with the CNS and stock carbs?! i wasn't planning on collecting supplies... hah.

Attachments

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
Are you running a bigger filter on the cns? Also remove the black house from the back of the airfilter, put still attached to the brass nipple on the carb. Will help out.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
Are you running a bigger filter on the cns? Also remove the black house from the back of the airfilter, put still attached to the brass nipple on the carb. Will help out.
yeah, i've got the SBP low profile air filter, and already pulled out that air breather tube (wouldn't start until i did). i didn't notice the clip was on the 2nd from the top on the pin, so moving it to the middle i got a little better performance, and one lower even better (but the lowest was the worst). it bogs a bit when first accelerating, but settles a bit with half throttle. when trying to really GO i've still only got about 50% power/speed compared to the stock carb with lots of shakes and bogging down.

i've read the post about tuning the CNS and aside from adjusting the float (i don't even get what the benefit of that would be?) i'm not really ready to start drilling the jet...

anyways, sorry Flatblack... how's your RT carb working? did you have to buy a new throttle cable for it? i noticed on the daxx site it says a 10.5mm draw cable is required, and i don't know what the stock cable's draw is...

also i went and bought some 1/2" iron pipe and copied your set back seat post approach. i used some vinyl tubing along with the pipe to give it a tighter fit in the post. not perfect, but it's working for now.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Nice! The RT carb is a huge improvement over the CNS in run quality, tuning and over build quality. Feels like an actual carb!

Bad news, coaster brake folded. New wheelset on the way. Sucks that the whole bike just started to run REALLY well (we're talking front wheel getting light, even with break-in mix. Not wheelies but it's pulling!) This means I know have to reinstall rag joint/drive gear on new wheel, refinish the new wheelset, and hope the chain alignment is still good to go.I called it, though. I knew that brake never felt right, even without the motor on. I had the thing apart and reassembled at least ten times.

Frankenstien Bikes

May 11, 2011
San Diego
Coat your filter with K&N filter oil, will help also. I put my stock airfilter back on with the black tube off and bike screams!! Im gonna keep it like this till i get a bigger jet! Also my clip is on second setting from top. You still breaking in your engine? And what spark plug. U running?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
It was running well until the brake incident. It's still in the break-in period. I'm running a NGK BPR6HS currently, but have a BPR6HIX on the way, as well as a better fuel petcock and a headstud kit for the Puch head.

Caddy429

Jun 16, 2011
Cleveland
i startd on my build and my first problem was getting the rear sprocket on the wheel the coaster break arm is really on the way but i can see on your pictures that your coaster break is still there and you were able to fit it right. maybe i should upload some pictures since my sprocket looks different from yours. could you take a picture showing how your rear sprocket is mounted. thank you

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
A few updates to the build. I added the RT carb/velocity stack/Puch Hi Hi Compression head/springer seat from a free Craigslist find. The seat really helps the build a lot!

New rims get here today. Currently, the stock set is back on with the brake shoes removed from the rear hub. Allows it to roll/run but the pedals have to play catch-up when wanting to pedal. They won't grab until a few rotations are completed. Not sure how other people have achieved going from from coaster to free on the same hub, but this ain't workin'! New wheel set should solve it, as well as giving me a peace of mind with a more heavy duty wheel set under me with the amount of power this set up is making. Just need to go through the sand/paint/mask/sand/paint steps again!

Also installed a new petcock/NGK BPR6HIX plug/and head stud kit. Gotta pick up some real fuel line tomorrow. This stock stuff is junk. Also plan on painting the drive gear the same satin bronze as some of the other parts.

Last edited:

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
My bike has the giant hairpin style seat, and its real nice, though I cant get it locked solidly in place so every once in awhile it moves an inch or so. Tried all I could with the CNS the other day, and decided to switch back to the stock carb only to be reassured it has some major problems and just revs the engine out if control no matter where the pin is or how well it's sealed on. Contemplating ordering the other carb, manifold, and throttle cable from daxx! It's July now, I should be cruising in style!

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
also Flatblack, be careful trying to run that hub with the coaster brake disassembled! i was trying to make mine run freewheel and it didn't take long for it to lock up and almost kill me! thankfully it was before i had the bike motorized, phew.

Caddy429

Jun 16, 2011
Cleveland
hey guys heres a picture of my finished bike i just have to make it a little more pretty thats all but she rides real nice. just wanted to update you guys on how it all went.

Hammer

Jul 5, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Great looking bike! Very clean, which is exactly what I'm after. I'm ordering a Cranny and motor kit on Friday. Did you have to use any special mounts to get it on the bike, or did the ones with the kit work out for ya?

Are those stock bars just flipped? If so, that's great!

Keep up the great work!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Thanks! My kit came with the large mount and worked fine. Those are stock bars cut 2.5", flipped and angled down. Just barely enough straight to get everything mounted to them.

Make sure you get a different brake set up.

Edrockmcboy

Jul 6, 2011
Arizona
Hi, I'm new to the world of motorized bikes and was wondering were did you buy that beach cruiser originally cause i was just wondering were is best to buy a beach cruiser from for a sick build.