dave and goat are you dialed in

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Guys
Was wondering are you happy with eng. performance did you get jetting right.
dave I know yours is 5.8 so jetting would be differnt.Goat I know I have to break it in . But it seems like when it comes into powerband just when it starts to come on it does but then goes flat. pulled plug it seemed maybe a little lean kind of a rusty brown not a nice chocolate so I raised the needle to the top it seems better but not right I thought I would totally break it in befor I tryed to ajust the carb But AS Dean said they dont need breaking in. maybe a couple of tanks
He said He rides his hard from day one and his stuff runs great.. Mine idels great the clutch is ok but can use some jetting help I am sure..Any advice
from somebody that actually has one 9.4 Boxer..would appreciate any info..
Thanks Flex...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
How To Tune PHBG Carburetors - MopedWiki Try this link. This place will have our jets. They must get a lot of business me thinks they were out of stock on some of them and the next day they had'em. Our carb is the PHBG19 new products today at treatland.tv

I will have my carb dialed in by next week. Took me a few to get my mind around the carby too. I think the ignition is rev limited on the 9.4? I got more rev's on the 5.8 I think but never put a tach on it. I was only getting about 12,000 rpm's max tops. There is a point in my throttle that flats out as well. My jets mebbe in this Friday. Will know more then.

Even with my carb not dialed in completely yet this thing has way more bottom end then my 5.8.

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Last edited:
Reactions: neomas372

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Goat
Oh My God went to the delorto links THANKS......................
All the boxers are coming with the same pipe pretty sure..

That place is a really cool sight! That's where I found my Vapor Tech. I then went to the Vapor Tech website and did more reading on it. I put a little fatter o ring on my Fuel Mixture Screw. My Jets just came in! Man that was quick! Time to see what this pig will do! dnut

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Got my S6S out finally after some needle problem. Took it for it first good ride and the same problem here. Gets up and goes then you lay into the throttle and nothing for awhile then all of a sudden it starts to scream and just gets going and going. So it can go but for some reason holding back through the mid range?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well truth be told the most I think I ever saw out of my tach was 11,000 rpm's I fixed the mid range perfect. In the beginning I was flatting out on the full throttle part. Got close to a flawless idle finally calling it a night with it.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Thanks For posting your findings good or bad its all totally usefull info So thanks..some times if i go full throtltle right off some times it studders then goes or sometimes it seem like its starving for gas and just goes flat. Or sometimes I'll ease into full and it start Really moving like faster then ever. when you hit it fast seems like its running out of gas like the carb cant keep up maybe the float bowl is running out so its starving the motor I dont know what it is its just what it feels like. goat Please Keep posting I heard you put on a jackshaft
and your running a nu vinci is that true and if its true how do you like it as I just got a n171 builders kit that I have not installed yet..Also did not how cool your tach is untill I saw the night ride video and you can really see it work RPM and Speed Very nice piece

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You are looking for a clean crisp rev like this. YouTube - 9.4HP Franco Morini motori first-start I finally put my idle jet back bigger on mine like it was. Then used my micro drill bits on my pilot jet making it bigger in methodical stages then riding around. I could never get this pig to idle nice.

''Note no need to ride it if the throttle will not blip it ain't a right yet''.......

I got nice little peel out marks over parts my drive way lol.

Note I am pushing about 6000 feet here above sea level. Especially if I ride in the mountains.

Part of my being lost I did something experimental I would like to share I have done before. I used multiple layers of nylon stockings ''up to fourteen'' on my air filter when ever I was in doubt before a ride and lots of plug chops from the beginning!. I have now peeled away some of that and have very little air restriction but am still using a few layers. I have that foam filter that came with the BoXer it has no air restriction at all wut so ever which is great for performance! I have been in none stop utterly filthy wind dirt storms here for a while too. That time of year here...

I think gotta recheck my bits with my mic? I got good eye balls lol. #45 pilot jet, 60 starter 79 main third notch. I would blip my throttle and always have a studder. I thought about it methodically and windowed the slide big time. It was always a nice idle with a off throttle studder or vice versa till I did that. Note this was the very last adjustment I did I had both idle and pilot to each extreme. This pig will blip on the throttle nice and crisp now from a fair idle. Was a fun riddle.:) I am at 40/1 next tank 50/1 I think I'll have closer to perfection..

dellorto PHBG carburetor round slide

My slide was a #30 now dunno but its a working..

Got back from a run about an hour ago. The neighbors are prolly will the guy on the bike with a screw driver in his hand stop already lol.laff

Yeah that was me with the N.V. J Shaft 5.8 Morini. It does not compare to this 9.4 Boxer dnut

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Ya know when I do little revs like that guy on video it revs similar as i put my needle back to were it was .It's when I hold it thats whe it goes flat. also did you see that pipe might make a big differnce the stinger small and long I think as you said the pipe is like the cam for a 2 strokes I know thats a very correct statment...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
dnutThat guy is doing violently quick full and fast rev's. Mine does this now. I do not have any flat spots or transitions in my throttle at all now. The bike pulls like all get go off the line and accelerates to full speed. Look at how far his hand is going in that first start up video I linked ya.. This was among his Maiden voyage with that pipe. YouTube - * www.motovelo.us *Riding onboard the Morini bike

I never broke my N.V. hub it held up why I dunno.

I am still revving out so far tho like it has always been can't get past 11,000 rpm's

I have heard talk about the brown wire been wondering what happens if I disconnect it? I am not really complaining at the moment tho as the bike is pretty much doing what I wanted it to do from the beginning when I first conceived what I originally wanted..

http://motorbicycling.com/f47/how-wire-up-morini-19360.html

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Goat
That bike is a screamer. ya think its the pipe letting it rev out with no flat on top.
So you were saying your bike is clean all the way thru to top end . Does that mean no more flat on top end . Keeps pulling .

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Nope and yep in that order. lol. Easy Rider noted some where that the ignition set up from the 5.8 motor on a 9.4 type get up gave him higher rev's.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Goat
Do you mind me askink ? How do you like the vapo tech tach ? for rpm it probally
has a wire to spark park plug.so how does it calculate speed ?Is it like the bike ones magnet on spokes and a pick up on the fork. If that is the configuraion how does it work with inverted fork were do you clamp? I love the Vapo and also which one did you order went to a web site and there was about 30 of them..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hey Goat
Do you mind me askink ? How do you like the vapo tech tach ? for rpm it probally
has a wire to spark park plug.so how does it calculate speed ?Is it like the bike ones magnet on spokes and a pick up on the fork. If that is the configuraion how does it work with inverted fork were do you clamp? I love the Vapo and also which one did you order went to a web site and there was about 30 of them..
So far I love it. I had to rig a 9volt battery to the thing no biggie. The battery will last 4 months I am told. The magneto on the Morini will not power it without killing the motor. Unless ya want to set the idle at 2,000 plus rpm's. I got a china mag to run it tho. When playing with it before the 9.4 Morini came in.

The reason I bought a Vapor tech originally was to have a glitch less speed ohmmeter. The rest of the goodies it came with made me want it more lol.

I got mine from here. Vapor Digital Gauge at Trail Tech Home

Just give those guy's a call and tellem' what you have. I ordered a Vapor model [don't know the model # of hand at the moment]and got the attachment for engine temp 14mm spark plug. The first head unit gave me guff they warrantied it no prob tho. You should figure a way to soft mount it to your bars. To lesson the vib's on these I am told is advised. I came up with something trick tho. Comes with a year warranty.

I put my own forks on my Boxer they are not inverted. I used my forks because I have a lot of down hill stuff in my possession.

It is a magnet sensor at the wheel.

I am not done tuning the carby yet , prob is I am a perfectionist.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Thanks Goat
I want to get one . I have to figure a solution for mounting no way on forks. so swing arm is my choice. have to fab a bracket and will figure a soft mount for bars..
Much appreciated Flex.....

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thanks Goat
I want to get one . I have to figure a solution for mounting no way on forks. so swing arm is my choice. have to fab a bracket and will figure a soft mount for bars..
Much appreciated Flex.....
They had GPS units too. I forget the price they were more tho.

Here is another Dellorto tuning link. PHBG tuning made easy (a step by step guide) - MopedWiki
How To Tune PHBG Carburetors - MopedWiki

You said flex there was a flat spot in your WOT throttle read here.

From here: SO when tuning the main jet make sure to be at WOT, or you are not getting an accurate main jet reading. Start big and work your way down. If the bike is slower at WOT than at 3/4 throttle, the main is still too big. When you are really close to the perfect #, the bike will be the same speed or only slightly faster at 7/8 throttle than at WOT. This is your safe zone, be very careful when down jetting past this point.

I dug deep into some other forums .. I could never find anyone tuning at my elevation with a similar set up.. . I did find a general rule of thumb tho for PHBG dellorto's. For roughly every 950 feet above sea level change a jet size. This seams to correlate well with my main jetting and where my experimenting went with the idle circuit has gone so far.

All these stock motor carb's come jetted for sea level. I had to figure about a 6 size difference from stock configuration.

I got IDLE jets close to #35's coming. I have not tried yet. The slide trick got me close but not what I want. I just had to try it. That prolly works better with shifting engines not great on a single speed. Going back to a #30 slide too. I should be real close after this.

I am looking for about a 500/800 rpm idle my self . So far the best I got was 1200 or the engine loaded up too rich with fuel. Been doing lots of short rides just enough to blow the rich condition out of the motor and try again. I am just getting familiar with this carb.

Last edited: