Safe Motorbike routes

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
It is spring-time and riding season time to plan some rides....Does anyone know of a web-site that plots back-road routes ? I know there is a bicycle-path one, but most bike paths don't allow motors.

:)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't know of one. My two rules of thumb for motor bike routes are are sticking to roads with lower speed limits and minimizing left turns.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I have always found google maps to be a great assistance in finding the correct route in my local area. If you can see all the roads that could lead to your destination you can then pick the best route for your self.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have always found google maps to be a great assistance in finding the correct route in my local area. If you can see all the roads that could lead to your destination you can then pick the best route for your self.

Good advice.

I've commuted a 10-mile round trip to work for about six years now. I started pedalling a cruiser bike, then electrified it. Top speed was 27 mph, which kept me on the bike path, sidewalks and city streets. Next was a gassified Dahon folder, which still required me to follow the same route. The cruiser was then fitted with one, then two Mitsubishi 2.2hp engines. This setup's top speed was 39 mph, which finally freed me from the bike path. Nimitz highway had a long six-lane highway, but speeds over 40 mph make for a hairy ride. Outfitting my MB's with 4.2 hp GP460 and 2.8 hp Tanaka engines allowed me to ride faster than 40 mph. Moreover, it helped me find the safest routes where I could keep up with traffic travelling less than 40 mph. Even though there are moderate hills involved, the lower speeds and less volume of traffic makes the safest route the best way to commute to work. The last leg of the trip is a long stretch with 25 mph speed limit, so that's safe and less stressful for bike and rider. There is a cop who strictly enforces the speed limit there, so that's nice.

I think the safest route depends if you can ride with cagers at a respectable pace. It also depends if you take the lane or hug the curb.xct2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I ride bike trails often and most around here are posted, "No Motor Vehicles". I still ride them but I kill the engine whenever I come upon pedal bikers or pedestrians. I'll pedal until I feel I'm far enough away that my engine won't bother them and restart it. I've never had a bad encounter with the roadies or folks walking.
I also 'ghost pedal' if the trail is near a street where I can be seem easily.
Most cities/counties will have maps of bike trails available either on line or at the library. Most bike shops also have trail maps available; some free and some they charge for.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This has come up a few times for me the last few days. I just found the best MB route here in ct for the get together here ( http://motorbicycling.com/f35/ct-ride-cook-out-28785.html Hope to see ya there ChainMan) For the MB magazine, actually, didn't you suggest it? Would like to offer it as section. But gonna write Google now and see if they would be willing to help. What I am thinking is a googlemaps thing but for MBs. Dunno. They are really cool about weird ideas and ya never know.
Would need us to submit em though.

Last edited: