quick question after doin some research

GoldenMotor.com

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
so i have installed my sbp expansion chamber on my china girl, i love the sound and the performance! I used the search function and i still have some questions.
im not happy with how i had to make it fit to clear the crank.
basically it hangs low and crosses under the frame at the crank point and comes out on the other side of the bike, just clearing the tire and pedals. Im also not happy with the sturdiness of the connection between the pipe and the expansion chamber. The mounting strap that comes with the kit is basically just supporting the weight of the expansion chamber and has a decent amount of play. Its just not sturdy and i dont have a welder. I can solder though, and i have some jb/weld. Im thinking that an upward mounting position may be sturdier.
I noticed that SBP sells another elbow for an upward mounting position but i dont want to order it and wait.
So here are my questions:
1) Will wrapping the pipe with heat wrap sturdy up the connections?
2) Can i buy a similar sbp elbow fitting at lowes or someplace similar?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
squirrel

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My personal experiance is that heat wrap did not sturdy anything up, because it vibrates loose before the heat from the muffler cures it. But it could be just me.

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
thank you for your reply mr. furball
i think that with an upward position i will be able to support the pipe by mounting the bracket that comes off of the the SBP expansion chamber to the seat tube. the heat wrap will simply protect my leg. if the jb-weld can withstand the heat and support/seal the joints of aluminum, copper, and steel parts that come with the kit i think i will be able to get a good looking and simple install for someone who doesn't have access to a welder and create a custom exhaust.
squirrel

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
so i went to lowes and got some copper tubing, and a few elbows and some 5 minute epoxy that can withstand 500degrees. I fiddled with the mounting, got it mocked up, and put the epoxy on and waited....took it for a quick ride and realized that i ruined the top end performance i was goin for by adding a long section of tubing between the exhaust manifold and the expansion chamber.
I realized that with this bike im gonna have to do a little more modification of the SBP kit than i wanted to do. I've decided to cut off the muffler that is attached to the expansion chamber. I want to do this so i can get the expansion chamber closer to the exhaust manifold and still have the exhaust gasses coming out somewhere around the seat or seatstay, following the lines of the frame.To do this i plan on using some wood and nails to make a jig for bending the pipe. my only worry is what is exactly going on inside the expansion chamber where the muffler is attached. has anyone ever cut the muffler off of the SPB kit?
:-||