whats a better motor

GoldenMotor.com
Hi,

We recently added a version of the Q-Matic drive to our product line to fit the HF 79 CC motor. The Q-Matic drive for the HF motor is completely setup to simply bolt on. The cost is $10.00 higher than the stock Q-Matic because of a more expensive belt and primary drive pulley.

The MSRP of the stock Q-Matic is $269.75, and the HF version is $279.75.
Of course dealer prices are less.

The Q-Matic can bolt to most Horz. Shaft motors with very minor modifications.

Have fun,

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Not sure what your looking for but the old Briggs and Stratton 3HP edger side shaft motors can be picked up cheap. I just paid $5 for one including the entire Toro tiller. I had purchased another one about 2 years ago for $20 for use on another tiller. Both needed carbs cleaned and new oil but they fired up. They are out there if you cruise yard sales. I had one of these mounted on an old live axle go-cart with centrif. clutch 20 years ago that I pieced together for my younger brother and it would push it at 25MPH. We tried hard to kill it but ended up running the wheels off the cart first. It was one tough motor but the clutch did get pretty warm. Anyway this is the basic set-up I'm planning for my next build Indian Board Track racer now that I'm almost done with my 1902 Indian camelback (2-stroke, pics under other forum). Both are just weekend cruisers. I'll keep you posted.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Check out the Lifan 2.5hp L head very compact and quite powerful. One of those on a Q-matic would be killer. The engine averages around $100. I just finished one on a Cranbrook(see the DIY section), and am VERY pleased with it.

RustyBedSprings

Apr 20, 2011
PNW
Ok guys... I'm about ready to spend some cash.

Does the HF Q-Matic drive bolt up to the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Horizontal Engines...???

If so... I think I'd like to use a Electric Start/Keyed 20-25hp Briggs & Stratton, HF Q-Matic drive, Jackshaft, 280 rear tire in this frame:

Or... This Frame:

RustyBedSprings

Apr 20, 2011
PNW
This would make an interesting motor for a unique bike...

Briggs and Stratton 31hp Vanguard V-Twin OHV horizontal shaft engine.
Model.

Cast iron sleeves, fuel pump, full pressure lube w/ oil filter, electric start
LP/NG fuel.

Briggs Vanguard 31 hp Horizontal Engine
895 cc Briggs & Stratton Vanguard. LP/NG Generator Engine

895 cc
LP/NG
145 lbs
543277-0078
.duh.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That really is a nice looking engine......it's as big as the old H-D sportster powerplant. I really like the fact that it runs on propane or natural gas.

And to answer your question, the Q-matic is not designed or intended to be used on motors much over 10 hp.

Last edited:

johnpeter

Jun 13, 2011
SoCal, Los Alamitos
Crazy tandem OP. BWAHAHAHA!

I'm old and slow. Just started my GEBE RS35cc build.

Has anyone used a true Honda 50cc, 70cc or 90cc for an in-frame?
Super cheap and EZ to freshen up, plus 4 real gears. Some of the 50cc types have auto-clutches but might be 3 speeds... can't quite remember.

In-joy!