internal gear hub help.

GoldenMotor.com

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
hello. i just bought a shift kit from sbp. and am now trying to find a internal gear hub. i wont a 8 speed that will not get trashed from use on my motorized bike. im looking for input from people that are/have used any kind of igh. and links to sites where i may buy them or wheels with the hubs installed. any info on this topic will help so feel free to post. all tips will help alot. thanx

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I asked the same question a week or so ago, some guys have had luck and some have not. From what I got you need to back off the throttle when shifting and shift easy. I still havnt decided what hub Im going with it looks like the sturmey with the drum brake.

Cheers

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thanx. i was looking at the sturmey archer with the disc mount. but i dont want to run it for a month an have it crap out on me. i ride alot of hills and dirt roads. so im looking for a hub that can take a beating.

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
I just finished putting on my sbp shift kit with a nu vinci hub!!! all i gotta say is it rules!! I instantly noticed a difference in low end power my next up grade will be the tuned pipe for some more top end performance!!

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
good luck with that.. my n-360 broke with in 50 miles.:( i really hope you get more use out of yours.

JRock21584

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
yea i got the n171... the 360 didnt look as durable to me... I sure hope that i get more than 50 miles!! what hub did u end up with?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've been using the same hub as Barely, a Sturmey X-RD3, and I'd assume a Nuvinci hub would be stronger than that.
I have close to 2500 on mine, and I'm not always nice to the hub. The first 800 miles were full-throttle shifts before I learned finesse lol

Makes me wonder exactly what you folks who have broke a Nuvinci are doing!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
it's pretty much impossible to break a nuvinci hub, they will stop working but nothing is broken inside. there is a bail spring in the nuvinci drive unit that can pop out of it's slot when over powered, it will then stop working, take the hub apart and rewind the spring and the hub will work again. once you've taken one apart you'll see that there so heavy duty that nothing could ever break.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
heres a link to the insides of the nuvinci. it should be near impossible to break it with a china girl. now the morini is another matter.
http://motorbicycling.com/f48/inside-nuvinci-hub-21827.html
well mine broke within 50 miles.. and how do you fix one? it is, well was full of fluid and i would need to replace that. here you can see where the hub came open. and once the fluid ran out 0 power.

i could pop it back together if i had the fluid to fill it.. but what would stop it from doing it again? how can people say such good things about this hub and mine failed before my motor even fully broke in?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
thats the 360 hub which i don't know anything about. the 171 hub is solid one peice on that side and can't come apart. everything comes apart on the other side of the 171. the fluid is about $100 a quart. it taks around 3 oz of fluid to fill the 171 hub. i have a quart of the fluid, if you fix your i could send you a few ounces to refill it.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
thats the 360 hub which i don't know anything about. the 171 hub is solid one peice on that side and can't come apart. everything comes apart on the other side of the 171. the fluid is about $100 a quart. it taks around 3 oz of fluid to fill the 171 hub. i have a quart of the fluid, if you fix your i could send you a few ounces to refill it.
wow thats really nice of you to offer. i should fix it rather then just let it sit around. but how would i stop it from coming open again? id hate to put it back on a bike and it break down again.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
here are some pics of my hub now i got it apart... i dont think there is any fixing it. the threaded part that screws down puller apart.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
I am considering a S/A 8 speed with drum brake (X-RD8(W)).

from the responses of a few other posts, there are mixed performance results from all types of IGH.

from the brands shimano, sturmey archer, nuvinci. there are some posts with people getting lots of miles and well performers to some epic fails. so really its a mixed bag and it depends on how people have setup their gearing and how nice they are, too their bikes.

I have noted that changing gear requires a power off and then change gear, to avoid busting the hub.

But what about gearing the setup so the hub doesnt crap itself??? I have seen a few comments about avoid a 1:1 ratio in first gear?

I am looking at a sbp shift kit. so what chain rings do peolpe use on the crank and at the hub?

options on the hub sprocket 23 or 25.

would the 48t chain ring be best?

I dont really want to go faster than 55km/h (legal limit 50km/h for a power assisted pedal cycle in Australia) and have a reasonable hill climb performance. using a 26" wheel with 2.25 wide tyres and a 48cc 2 stroke, skyhawk gt2-b.

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
I would avoid the 8 gear internal S/A. Firstly becuase it's first gear is a 1:1 ratio.

I didn't do so much research, but I just bought a S/A 5 speed internal gear with drum brake 70mm (I wanted 90, but settled for 70 cus thats what was being offered for cheap)

I just got the wheel laced up, and I'll be ridding it by this next week. Of course I can't give you the long term results, but I can give you my initial impressions when I get going on it.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
all i can say is.. i used a N-360 hub, a SBP shift kit and a 18 tooth cog on a 29er. and it was a epic fail.. i spent $100 for spokes and to have the wheel laced. it dident last 50 miles before it failed... people can say what they wont about nuvicie. but i got a $300 pile of snot.. my first pick was a s/a 8 speed, and im pissed i dident try it first.. even if it dont work. its only half the price. and my N-360 bit the dirt fast.

whatever you do. just know, a derailleur is cheaper, less work and easier to fix.. in my experience anyway. even if the IG hubs look better..

and if your looking for bang for your buck.. a IG hub is a waste of time.. its not like your getting your money worth.. a $50 derailleur will get you just as much as a IG hub.. with no re lacing, no new spokes. and its easy to adjust.. to the people the have had the IG hubs work, great. but i was told it would be all good. and i wasted over $400 in the end. ill do anything to stop anyone from making the same mistake.

ITS LOOKS GOOD. BUT WHATS IT MATER WHEN IT DONT WORK!?

im only saying this because Ive been down this road.. i loved my N360... but id dident last. and i ended up getting new wheels and a derailleur and being vary happy..