Rustoration 2.0

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Well... It's getting close to that time of year. Anyone up for Rustoration 2.0?
I was thinking about adding my current build (Mach 10.

What is The Rustoration Builf Off?

The Rustoration Build off started last year (http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html) mainly based off vintage bikes.
So if you have anything..say pre-1960's your good to go.
As for the rules, BarelyAWake and Silverbear had them pretty good.

As for the "rules" silverbear laid it out pretty well lol;

To clarify a bit, this is a low key build off. While you don't hafta be living in a cardboard box - this isn't a thread for uberprofessional exotics and scratch built custom frames, this is just crusty old bikes being slowly transformed back to their heyday, so no choppers or major frame modifications (engine mounts etc. are fine).

You're welcome to post here with questions, suggestions, pics and comments even if your not officially in the build off... but a friendly warning, this is a build off thread so try to stay on-topic and keep it to crusty cruisers - this isn't the place to ask where the spark plug goes on your brand new Wallyworld bike or to just show off your finished build, such posts will be deleted. Don't take it personal, we'd love to help and/or see yer stuff - but that's what the rest of the forum is for.

Finally, this is a "competition" in name only, the only point being to have fun and the only prize the bike you just finished - which is a heck of a prize if ya think about it ;)
some basic guidelines and requirements. For example, you have to be poor. I think the three of us qualify on that count, quite nicely. You've gotta have an inadequate shop or like me, no shop. (In the summer I use a picnic table and bench outside. Here where I am for the winter I'm eyeballing a corner of the wood shed where maybe I can set up an old door for my workbench, extension cord for a hanging light and a few power tools.) Three (and most important) you've gotta have a good sense of humor and not get too serious. And finally the bike has to actually run when yer done. No problemo there, heh ( but not sayin' fer how long). Are we up for this? Is it a go? What do we call it? The Poor Boys Build Off? Rustorama 20010? We need a name, ya know, so I can magic marker an official T shirt.
Some photos below just so you know what kinda competition yer up against...
SB
So that pretty much sums it up, Hope to see you for Rustoration 2010-11!

Sam

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm thinking about getting in on this one... I'm thinking of building a under $300 crusty lowrider rat rod from old dead parts that are laying around my garage. ;)

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I'm down for that, if you'll have me.... gotta find another bike...how long do we have?
If you look at the last thread, basicly until you are ready. Anyone can jump i whenever they want.
I'm thinking about getting in on this one... I'm thinking of building a under $300 crusty lowrider rat rod from old dead parts that are laying around my garage. ;)
Sounds cool, be sure to post some pics here if you do!

Sam

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o.o

oic whut u did thar :p

Sorry weekend, but my current project is consuming my brain and... well... it doesn't quite exactly fit within the parameters of this Rustoration 2.0 ;)

Perhaps ol'silver has somethin' planned for this winter? *shrug* In any case I think another crusty cruiser comp is a great idea, I'll defo be following the thread (^)

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
o.o

oic whut u did thar :p

Sorry weekend, but my current project is consuming my brain and... well... it doesn't quite exactly fit within the parameters of this Rustoration 2.0 ;)

Perhaps ol'silver has somethin' planned for this winter? *shrug* In any case I think another crusty cruiser comp is a great idea, I'll defo be following the thread (^)
I think silver is doing a HF 79cc build like myself, maybe he will come around here :D

Today I got some progress, the springer (which is now black) finished curing and is on the bike, along with the motor and mount.
Sorry, camera is dead so no pics

Sam

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Sam,
I finished the 1951 Schwinn/Greyhound build today with the installation of the front fender jewel light. I got the bike basically done and running last week and got about 25 or 30 miles on it before the first dump of snow came to spoil things. Got the "saddlebag" baskets on yesterday. I took it out today very carefully negotiating a half foot of snow out to the main road where it had been plowed but was still wet with slush. I wanted to get photos with something besides white for a background... a cream colored bike kind of disappears with the snow around it. So, no this bike is not part of the buildoff and I already started a build thread on it last week. I need to get back to that thread to give more details about installing the engine on the Schwinn cantilever frame and then how to mate it to the Qmatic transmission. I'm trying to make it a detailed "how to" thread. It's in the four stroke section.
I have another bike I'm doing for a friend which is a 1949 Panther getting a four stroke. Maybe I'll 'enter' that one. But it is less interesting to me since my friend decides color, fenders, etc. and I am just building it. The one in the pictures below was a challenge to build on a pretty tight budget, but a whole lot of fun to ride. Good luck with yours. If I can help, let me know. My build thread should give you some tips I picked up along the way and by asking people smarter than me.
SB

Attachments

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hi all, I have a question.
Today I tried to start up my engine, put it wouldn't catch. I can't think of anything that might be wrong. I have had it under a tarp since my workshop is exposed to the elements, so I guess it could be internal rusting. Any ideas?

thanks

Sam

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sam,
First off, did you put oil in the crankcase? It doesn';t come with oil. Nothing to do with it starting and everything to do with wrecking it if it does start.
There is an ignition switch. I & O You want I Is the gas petcock turned on? It took a bit of pulling for mine to start the first time... probably getting gas to the carb.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The other day I picked up a 1980 AMF moped to use the front fork and hub from the front wheel for a Schwinn/Greyhound build this winter. Then I got to staring at this thing and was picturing a HT motor in the frame there with the gas tank removed, one of my behind the seat gas tanks and kind of like the idea. I paid $45.00 for it and figured I'd try to sell the motor (incomplete) and motor mount on ebay and was originally thinking I might be able to use the rear hub building a wheel to be powered by the greyhound.
So, I'm instead contemplating just repainting this thing, cleaning it up, installing the China girl and seeing what it's like. Maybe pass it along to a kid.
These AMF Roadmasters were the only completely American made mopeds and used a McCullough motor probably intended for a chainsaw. It was friction drive through a roller and only went about 15 mph max. In the moped world these are considered the butt of jokes compared to say a Puch or Sachs. It is an oddball even among mopeds. Still, I'm impressed with the stout wheels with drum brakes front & rear, suspension front fork. I figured maybe I'd try it and if I don't like it then I can use the front fork on a Schwinn and use the hub to build a 26" wheel.
What do you think? This would be super low budget build. I have an old engine that still runs, have a used behind the seat juice can tank and figured I'd use hardware from a used rag joint kit to attach the driven sprocket. The wheels are 2.0 X 16. Anyone have an idea what I would need for the driven sprocket to end up with a top end of 25 mph? And should I even fool with this thing?
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh yeah, the last photo I found on the Moped Army site. Somebody has already done this. If I do it I'll mount the engine so that it's more level, might change the rear rack that did have the motor under it and put something smaller and lower back there. No need for a crossbar added in as there will be no peanut tank. Keep it simple.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sam, did you get the greyhound started?

I've been giving more thought to this 1980 AMF Roadmaster moped and tried a few things... changed the goose neck and handlebar to another lying around, removed the engine and engine mount. Set the Happy Time motor in place and it will bolt right on as if it they were made for each other. Set a juice can tank on the rear rack and think I may go for the big boy coffee can size. Both drum brakes work, just need to give them new cables. Rims and hubs cleaned up pretty nicely. Seat is shot as it is bent badly, but have others. Frame is straight, wheels true. The one real area of concern is figuring out how to mount the driven sprocket on the wheel. I was thinking to use hardware from a rag joint. The drum is big, five inches across, so it would take some serious modification to a sprocket to fit around that thing. Can be done, but I'll just about have to use a 44 tooth sprocket I think. Anybody know if there are aftermarket sprockets that would somehow bolt on to this drum without resorting to a rag joint? A 44 T sprocket seems kind of big for a 16" wheel. Pedal clears the engine fine and I could even put a pull start on it if I wanted with no clearance issues. The exhaust fits without modification. Other than the rear sprocket it is a plug and play bike. I sat on it to see what if felt like and can picture riding this thing. I thought it would feel more dinky, but it's OK. The wheels and brakes are awesome, plus a front suspension fork. Some kid is going to be real happy. Maybe an old kid. Ha!
SB

Attachments

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Sam, did you get the greyhound started?

I've been giving more thought to this 1980 AMF Roadmaster moped and tried a few things... changed the goose neck and handlebar to another lying around, removed the engine and engine mount. Set the Happy Time motor in place and it will bolt right on as if it they were made for each other. Set a juice can tank on the rear rack and think I may go for the big boy coffee can size. Both drum brakes work, just need to give them new cables. Rims and hubs cleaned up pretty nicely. Seat is shot as it is bent badly, but have others. Frame is straight, wheels true. The one real area of concern is figuring out how to mount the driven sprocket on the wheel. I was thinking to use hardware from a rag joint. The drum is big, five inches across, so it would take some serious modification to a sprocket to fit around that thing. Can be done, but I'll just about have to use a 44 tooth sprocket I think. Anybody know if there are aftermarket sprockets that would somehow bolt on to this drum without resorting to a rag joint? A 44 T sprocket seems kind of big for a 16" wheel. Pedal clears the engine fine and I could even put a pull start on it if I wanted with no clearance issues. The exhaust fits without modification. Other than the rear sprocket it is a plug and play bike. I sat on it to see what if felt like and can picture riding this thing. I thought it would feel more dinky, but it's OK. The wheels and brakes are awesome, plus a front suspension fork. Some kid is going to be real happy. Maybe an old kid. Ha!
SB
Hi Silverbear, I remembered I disconnected the on/off switch, so thats why It wasn't wasn't starting. I haven't tried as I have been busy and going out of town soon.
Nice score on the moped!

Sam

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Silverbear, I remembered I disconnected the on/off switch, so thats why It wasn't wasn't starting. I haven't tried as I have been busy and going out of town soon.
Nice score on the moped!

Sam
I hope that's what the trouble is. Could also be that one of the wires you disconnected is grounding to the engine. I set up my kill wire to the former oil sensor connection which I disconnected. I found that every time I got on the bike after starting it the motor would die. Finally I realized I was tipping the bike in order to swing my leg over and mount the seat. In doing so the engine tipped along with the bike, the low oil sensor kicked in and killed the motor. So disconnect that wire and where it plugged in is the place to connect your throttle kill wire. I left my ignition switch alone and use it as a master disconnect. Nobody unfamiliar with the Greyhound will realize there is a master switch and won't be able to start it. And nobody in his right mind is going to try to pedal off in a quick escape... not on that bike.
Have a nice Thanksgiving, Sam.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I'm thinking if the wheel is 16 inches the 44 tooth sproket would be like putting a 60 or bigger tooth sproket on a 26 inch wheel,the 16" wheel is smaller and distance from the sproket to the tire is less so it may not be very fast but it would really climb hills,,,,16 ' wheel travels 50.24 inches per revolution of the sproket ,,,and a 26 inch wheel travels 81.64 inches for the same revolution of the sproket

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Corgi,
That pretty well confirms what I had a feeling about without the math to back it up. If the top speed is 15mph that is no good. 20 would probably be OK, but I'm not so sure it would do that and it would mean the engine would be getting wound out a lot. I'd say a top speed of 25 would be about right for this bike, but I don't see the gearing being able to do that. If I knew more about mopeds I'd know if there was another way to mount a driven sprocket. No doubt some other moped rear wheel already has two appropriate sprockets... the one on the pedal side and one from the engine more in the range of 30 some teeth. This moped had a friction drive so there is no sprocket on the left side, but I may take the wheel off the bike to see if that side of the hub can open up and permit a sprocket to be mounted somehow or other. How many number of teeth would be ideal do you think? Would 36 be about right? Thanks bud, & happy Thanksgiving.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
30 tooth would on a 16 inch be about 46 tooth on a 26 inch,,,big question ,is the wheel 16 inches or the height of the inflated tire and wheel 16 inches like measuring a bicycle wheel ,that would make a big difference

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the tooth count is for using the HT motor at the same rpm as on a 26 inch wheel for the same speed on the little wheel,the bike would go as fast as the larger wheel bike using the same motor speed,a faster speed for the bike if used as a friction drive on the smaller wheel at the same rpm would need a bigger roller against the tire